Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Releases for kids??? >

Releases for kids???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Releases for kids???

Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Releases for kids???

Curious if any of you have small children and are letting them use a release? My 7 year old daughter is shooting a compound bow now and has been for the last several weeks. I purchased a shooting glove for her but thinking that I will let her try a release. I am curious if anyone has any suggestions of any that come in a real small size.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Releases for kids???

i use to use a Cobra release, but it has been about 9 years ago so i dout that helps. but, im sure that someone makes a release in a youth size. my advice is ask the local pro shop. if they dont have one or cant get you one, then find one on the internet and order it. good luck
Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

try this website, its at cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0004439414362a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=youth+release&N=488 7&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1 &Ntt=youth+release&noImage=0

Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link. I will take my daughter to try it on this weekend and see if it will work for her!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Spike

I initially started my sons with a tab, but I could see that they were becoming frustrated (kept plucking). I then tried the Patriot Jr. but that was still too long for my 6 yr old. Eventually, they seemed to do best using the thumb style mech release because of the small "footprint". Once they got the hang of engaging it with one hand, they loved it. I bought the cheapest house brand version at Gander Mountain for about $25.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

My youngest son started with a release when he was six, he is eight now and still using it. It was an off brand youth release i bought for my oldest son when he was little but i dont recall the name brand.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a scott release that is pretty small and works really well for a couple of kids that I know. I'll try to figure out which one it is for ya... Tfergs
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM

My 8 year old son uses a TruFire Patriot Jr and it works really well.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess the release dwd001 is referring to is the Little Bitty Goose. My son used the Cobra and it did well for him, until he got tired of it and went back to shooting fingers.

The problem is most dads don't know diddly about shooting with a tab any more, don't know how to teach their kids to do it right, and so the poor tykes get frustrated. Dad decides they need a release when all they need is some good instruction. Sad state of affairs, IMO.