Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do I really need a double bull? >

Do I really need a double bull?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do I really need a double bull?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do I really need a double bull?

@ $35 a week my choice would be a limb saw and a 5 gallon bucket.

I mean no dis-respect.

I would go around your hunting area and make several natural blinds.

Pit blinds are absolutely deadly.

Blow down trees are great places to hide.

Movement/scent is what gets you busted.

I would call the guys at Double bull and buy some shoot-thru screen
about $20 worth should get you through the season. Take the screen and weave it into the brush so you can shoot through it while hiding your movement.

The trick to sitting still is a good chair with a back rest, $20 @ bass-pro
weight 6#.

The only thing you give up to a store bought blind VS a natural one is a little and I do mean a little scent control.

When building your ground blind and shoot thru screen system keep in mind how high your bow sticks up.

I would reccommend you team up with a buddy and help each other build half a dozen or so. Two heads are better than one, bring the camo you will be using and your bow. Take turns getting into the blinds and tweaking them to perfection.

For what it is worth I can afford the DB blind and chose the ASAT instead.

I happen to like the pattern better for set up and hunt same day hunting.

I also like the window system a little better. When Iused the DB Matrix the temptation to use the 360 degree window got me busted several times. This is my fault for being greedy (wanting to watch in all directions) not a fault of the blind.

With the ASAT I use 2 windows to shoot from and two little slits to watch from, my videohas in its own little window and am ready to go.

I have not used it yet, but I also like the ability to shoot out of the roof (duck blind style) which is something the ASAT has and the DB does not.

As far as quality goes,the cloth used on the ASAT and the DB is what sets them apart from cheap blinds -absolutly NO shine-or noise.

As far as quality goes , the internal framework is of equal quality IMHO.

Save your money, learn the craft in natural blinds and when you are ready buy your blind, like you buy a bow -

Try as many as you can and buy what you like.

Good luck - hope you get a big one
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM

granted I'm new here but capleo must not have looked at a Matrix for a while cause the ones I've looked at all have roof flaps that open so you could shoot out that way if you wanted to. This was the main reason I signed up to HNI to post a reply. You have to be so careful where you get your information and take it all with a grain of salt. Happy hunting!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the board I am glad that my post stirred so much passion that you had to step foward and correct me.

In the Matrix roof there are two zippers that can be opened and it is possible to shoot out of them you are correct. It is my impressionthis panel is more designed for ventilation rather than a stand up shooting port.

This is a picture of how it is done with the ASAT.

Take it with a grain of salt

Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

ORIGINAL: gplant

I wish one of the blind makers would make one for a tall person
I'm 6'4 or 5"and I can stand in my blind (BigGame Escape Deluxe) with the top of my head just brushing the top (in the middle).
I would dig down so that I could stand up. I've done it before for a elcheapo Doghouse blind and it worked perfectly.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 AM

Digging down is a wonderful suggestion. I may have to try that as it could make standing shots even more a breeze. The pit blind sounds like an idea as well. How do you camo the top or perimiter and how do you go about shooting. Do you just sit on a bucket and rise up when the moment is right. The only thing that would concern me about digging a pit blind or digging underneath a portable blind is a good rain. Then what? [:@].
Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Digging down is a wonderful suggestion. I may have to try that as it could make standing shots even more a breeze. The pit blind sounds like an idea as well. How do you camo the top or perimiter and how do you go about shooting. Do you just sit on a bucket and rise up when the moment is right. The only thing that would concern me about digging a pit blind or digging underneath a portable blind is a good rain. Then what? [:@].
That's what rubber boots are for.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

For what it is worth I can afford the DB blind and chose the ASAT instead.

I happen to like the pattern better for set up and hunt same day hunting.

I also like the window system a little better. When Iused the DB Matrix the temptation to use the 360 degree window got me busted several times. This is my fault for being greedy (wanting to watch in all directions) not a fault of the blind.
Kinda strikes me funny that you like the ASAT better...yet haven't hunted out of it, yet. I've never heard anyone suggest actually USING the 360deg. window setup. I cinch mine down on one side to black out my background......but being able to raise a side window on demand gave me a shot at my first bow turkey this past spring. I can't get past the feeling of HAVING to wait until an animal is in one of your blind's pre-determined shooting lanes (i.e. where your blind has a window/portal).

That's why they make different kinds, though
Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 AM

"That's what rubber boots are for."

You'd better not move then or the deer would hear your rubber boots sloshing around in your pond/blind.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM

i just got a once used double bull for $300 but i had a brick house before. I definatly like the faster set up of the double bull but if you can set it up and leave the blind any would work
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Where I hunt, I would be more concerned with jumping down on top of a cottonmouth. Use to duck and goose hunt in So Louisiana out of pits (reinforced with concrete) and you always had to shine a flashlight down in there to make sure you didn't see any eyes looking back at you.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a double bull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.