Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandable Broadheads >

Expandable Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandable Broadheads

Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Expandable Broadheads

I think the reference to KE has to do with the amount of energy it sometimes takes to get the expandable to open up in the first place. This is fairly high with some of the original expandables where the blades have to swing around past center to open. Almost insignificant with some of the newer designs like the Rage.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dangolbowhunter

Spitfires..been shooting them for 2 years and see no reason to change(expandables). I may kill something w/ a slick trick(fixed) this year to see what all the hype is about.
Is your bow shooting hard enough for expandables?
I am shooting a 50lb bow...is that good enough for good penetration with expandables?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot both,but currently shooting muzzies 125 fixed position.Both have their advantages and like most things it boils down to personell preferance and experience.I don't shoot mechs. i just don't want to add one more moving part to my bow that (could) malfuction.Good luck with whatever u decide.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Don't know personally. But there is a bunch of stuff on Rage's website that suggests that they will open up fine with bows as light as 45 lbs.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM

I have a few left over from my previous hunting days back in the early 90s. I don't remember the product name but they had two blades, a green body, and used an O-ring to hold the blades. How would these compare to current expanding broadheads, and should I use them this season to hunt whitetail?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot thunderheads 100 for about 18 years but I have to say my buddy Todd talkedme into trying the wasp jack hammers and I never looked back. Huge holes and quick dyeing deer I will never go back, I have never had a single problem with them!! I am looking at trying or at least experimenting with the piston point this summer.. Walt
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'll be the one to say it... DO NOT just screw the things onto your arrows and go hunting. The first thing a smart hunter does is check to make sure all his equipment is working properly. That goes double for expandable heads. Make sure the blades move freely.

Of the five packages of expandables I've bought for testing - all were popular, highly respected heads that are still on the market - only one pack contained heads I felt were ready to hunt with. All the rest needed work before the blades would swing freely. One batch was so screwed up I had to literally use pliers and pull darn hard on the blades to force them open.

After working them over, all heads functioned properly but the experience wrecked any confidence I might have had in expandables.

When you hear stories about blades not opening, that's likely a person who didn't inspect them before using them.