Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp >

Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp

Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp

Due to a land swap with a timber company, we now have a beautiful little cypress swamp (they don't
like swamps) and some adjacent medium age woods. In the middle are about 15 large cypress and the
edges are surrounded by buttonwoods. Inside of the buttonwoods it is only about 30 yards wide by about 120 yards long. At deepest it ranges from 2-3 feet. With the buttonwoods you really can't see in or out.
Outside of that it is mostly medium aged woods and about 150 yards to one side is a heavily traveled four
wheeler trail. There is a fair amount of hunting pressure on 2-3 sides, but I don't think the swamp and
surrounding few acres have been hunted as there has been limited access until now. Will a big deer
hide in there or move through that area?
My only comparable experience is hunting low areas, but not like this. When would this be a good time to
hunt, early season, high pressure point, the rut? Would you just put on some waders and hide in the
cypress trees or put up a high stand overlooking the swamp?

I know, long post, but I was curious about people's experience hunting swampy areas and any tactics.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp

The surrounding areas and hunting pressures you describe make the cypress swamp an excellent natural haven for big old smart deer (and others) to hide out. The deerknow there is very little chance of encountering danger (hunters) there. So they will head there when the heat is up, like bow season weekends that bring out more hunters and especiallygun openers.

I would skip the waders and thought of wading in and hiding in the swamp during season- too noisy (could ruin the place for awhile if they clue in on you). But whenyou do wade in, for safety, don't go alone. Lots of things could happen in the water to get you in trouble. I would go in and do a good look around to see what exactly is out there to determine likely approach directions and where they are likely to lay down. I would also take pictures.

Then determine a couple 2/3 places for your stands. Atleast 2 stands so you have a back-up if things like wind change around and the third would be more ideal in case you guess them wrong.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. I found a place like that a few years back. Rubs EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! Every other tree was rubbed. Scrapes, beds. Man I had a AWESOME spot. Until I found out that I had mistakenly went over the property line that I had permission to hunt. [&o]

Tresspassing is not my thing, so I left it alone.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Uncle Matt,

I was thinking wading in there might be a bit much, but I was just trying to think aggressive.

What I obviously need to do some more of is scout around it. Then maybe find a couple ambush spots, one on each side.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lebeau, maybe a canoe to get out there (maybe have to wait for a good rain for higher water?).

But yeah - set up the ambush spots. Or even help create them by cutting some places back a bit to give them an easier ramp to use to ford the banks.

I love swamps and cypress! The color of antlers when they are all rubbed in with cypress. Last year we ran into a guy who wacked a big old boy that had cypress shavings ALL OVER his rack.

Go get em killer!