HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting Isolated Cypress Swamp

The surrounding areas and hunting pressures you describe make the cypress swamp an excellent natural haven for big old smart deer (and others) to hide out. The deerknow there is very little chance of encountering danger (hunters) there. So they will head there when the heat is up, like bow season weekends that bring out more hunters and especiallygun openers.

I would skip the waders and thought of wading in and hiding in the swamp during season- too noisy (could ruin the place for awhile if they clue in on you). But whenyou do wade in, for safety, don't go alone. Lots of things could happen in the water to get you in trouble. I would go in and do a good look around to see what exactly is out there to determine likely approach directions and where they are likely to lay down. I would also take pictures.

Then determine a couple 2/3 places for your stands. Atleast 2 stands so you have a back-up if things like wind change around and the third would be more ideal in case you guess them wrong.