Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 genetics, traits, in your area >

genetics, traits, in your area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

genetics, traits, in your area

Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: genetics, traits, in your area

its very common to see split browtines and just funky stuff around here.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Like Troy, I've also havebeen stomping my area for the last 2 decades whether it be for hunting, scoutingor shedhunting.

1.Main frame 4 pts( a side )still run heavy in my area. It has gotten better in the last 10 years though with more 5 pts. When I first moved here 20 years ago, it was a rariety to see a buck with 5 on a side. This area was really over hunted back then.

2. After 4.5 years old our bucks don't gain much in antler growth in the following years should they live that long. Main reason why I won't pass them up once they hit 4.5 years old. More orless... it'sas good as it gets!! Why let them live longer and take a chance someone else will kill em!!

3. A 160 class buckis top end. I've seen 3 bucks in almost 30 years of hunting that would have grossed 170 or a bitbetter.

4. Split brows aren't very common. Droptines are a rariety.

5. 10 inch tines are astall as it gets. Expect6 - 8 inch tineson a good buck.

6. Brow tines are generally under5 inches or less.

5. At 4.5 years old or older... bucks will dress outaround 200 lbs. Heavest buck taken on the farm I work at was 228 lbs. He was 4.5 years old according to the tooth wear. Generally a buck weighing around 235 lbsfield dressed will take the big buck contest that towns runaround me.

6.20 inch inside spread is usually as good as it gets. Expect 18 and under.

7.24 - 26 inch main beam is top end. Expect 18- 22 on bucks3.5 years oldand older.

8. Out of just under 800 sheds we have found... the biggest went 73 inches.It is the only one that went over 70 inches. The buck's other side went 68 inches. Maybe a dozen or so from 65 - 70 inches. According to the sheds we have found... 160 class buck is top end and a rariety at that.

I've measured somewhere around 40 - 50 racks of my buck's, Tyler's, others and skulls we have found... biggest measuredis 160 1/8 gross. Here's a hint to who shot it... [8D] There is another guy that nailed two bucks last year that went 160( rifle )and 162( bow )just outside my area. He is a big time shed hunter too. I am pretty sure he hasn't founda shedover 70 inches in this area. He's been at it a lot longer thenwe have.

Tim

Old 07-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The antler traits do change a lot depending on my hunting area. I mainly hunt 2 spots 80% of the time.

Area1: Riverbottom land. The bucks tend to lack in width. Mature bucks will average around 18-20 inches, and I haven't seen many wider than 22". There seems to be a dominant typical frame, being 5-6 points per side on a mature buck, and being tall and heavy. A mature buck will almost always have some kickers or stickers, with average mass.

Area2: Pasture/Agriculture land. The bucks tend to get wider. Mature bucks average 20-24 inches, but I've seen them up to 30"(literally). The bucks usually carry more mass, but not as many typical points, usually 4-5 per side, and not as tall.

Even though they are uncommon, I've seen droptines, double main beams, and freak nasty non-typicals in both areas. But there aren't many of them like that.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

As far as racks go I can't really say there is a trend. I can tell you that out of the two properties I own that the smaller of the two along the bay(lake michigan) is producing much larger bodied deer. My other property is along a river that dumps into the bay and the deer just don't seem to be as big. Both props produce some good racks and lots of does.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Around here 8 points are the norm. Bucks will start out at 1.5 as spikes to basket sixes or eights, but they all more often times than not will have an 8 point frame. It's hard to tell what they do when they get older because a 3.5 year old is still pretty rare, but it's getting better. The tines are usually fairly high, but an 18"+ spread is considered wide. There are 10s, 12s, etc., but the 8 point main frame is the norm.

Every once in a while a real giant will get tagged, so the genetics are there, but as someone mentioned the age structure has to be allowed to mature.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM

big 8 points or split brow 10s
Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have lots of split browtine bucks, some tall and narrow, others wide and short tined, some really chocolate colored. Some that have it all, for the most part there is a good variety.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer I see don't have much for brow tines.

And one trait that I really dislike is, the G-3tines are longer than the G-2 tines on a lot of the deer I kill. That really sucks for scoring.[:@]
Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

John i know what you mean there, that one is common around here also!! with the G-3's being longer than the G-2's. Here is an example, i killed this one two weeks latter
ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

The deer I see don't have much for brow tines.

And one trait that I really dislike is, the G-3tines are longer than the G-2 tines on a lot of the deer I kill. That really sucks for scoring.[:@]

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

The racks around the area that I hunt seem to always be very typical and symmetrical. I have never seen a buck with stickers or anything odd. Mature bucks are usally a nice 10 pointer with about a 20 inch spread and a nice heavy rack. The bodies on the deer around here get real heavy though.