HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - genetics, traits, in your area
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: genetics, traits, in your area

Like Troy, I've also havebeen stomping my area for the last 2 decades whether it be for hunting, scoutingor shedhunting.

1.Main frame 4 pts( a side )still run heavy in my area. It has gotten better in the last 10 years though with more 5 pts. When I first moved here 20 years ago, it was a rariety to see a buck with 5 on a side. This area was really over hunted back then.

2. After 4.5 years old our bucks don't gain much in antler growth in the following years should they live that long. Main reason why I won't pass them up once they hit 4.5 years old. More orless... it'sas good as it gets!! Why let them live longer and take a chance someone else will kill em!!

3. A 160 class buckis top end. I've seen 3 bucks in almost 30 years of hunting that would have grossed 170 or a bitbetter.

4. Split brows aren't very common. Droptines are a rariety.

5. 10 inch tines are astall as it gets. Expect6 - 8 inch tineson a good buck.

6. Brow tines are generally under5 inches or less.

5. At 4.5 years old or older... bucks will dress outaround 200 lbs. Heavest buck taken on the farm I work at was 228 lbs. He was 4.5 years old according to the tooth wear. Generally a buck weighing around 235 lbsfield dressed will take the big buck contest that towns runaround me.

6.20 inch inside spread is usually as good as it gets. Expect 18 and under.

7.24 - 26 inch main beam is top end. Expect 18- 22 on bucks3.5 years oldand older.

8. Out of just under 800 sheds we have found... the biggest went 73 inches.It is the only one that went over 70 inches. The buck's other side went 68 inches. Maybe a dozen or so from 65 - 70 inches. According to the sheds we have found... 160 class buck is top end and a rariety at that.

I've measured somewhere around 40 - 50 racks of my buck's, Tyler's, others and skulls we have found... biggest measuredis 160 1/8 gross. Here's a hint to who shot it... [8D] There is another guy that nailed two bucks last year that went 160( rifle )and 162( bow )just outside my area. He is a big time shed hunter too. I am pretty sure he hasn't founda shedover 70 inches in this area. He's been at it a lot longer thenwe have.

Tim