Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Center the Pin Guard in the Peep? >

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

I completely agree with Arthur P, I always center my pin in my peep. This works for me. I also shot an 8x scope with a large ring for spot shooting. By centering the ring in the peep, there was no need for me to center the housing as well. To me, for both hunting and target shooting, centering the housing just wastes valuable time which can lead to shot degradation.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Arthur....I'm not the only one who does what I do. I've discussed this with several people.

If my peep and my pin guard are "in ine" at full draw (just before I shoot).....how can all my pins be centered in the peep? I have 4.

It just sorta annoys me when people tell me they do something one way.....and that there's no way I do it the way I say I do (because it's in direct conflict with what THEY do). Does that make sense?

So....according to you and the "studies".....I'm subconsciously centering my pins in my peep? How can you prove this?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

greg....I might learn something here.......but when I come to full draw....it's easier for me to align the peep/ring than it is to center the pin in the peep. I've tried it both ways. It's also a LOT easier for me to shoot with both eyes open, this way.

I find it to be MUCH quicker....and much easier for me to focus on my target ONLY.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Why Arthur? Why did you do this? My brain is already hurting from thinkin about this.

I do not have a round pin guard. I have always centeredthe pin I'm usingin the peep. But now that you and GMMAT are debating this, it has me thinking....
If WE as archers/bowhunters strive to have the EXACT same form on every shot, then we should not be centering the pins in the peep. The only ways I can think of to center different pins is to change the elevation of either our anchor points or our bow arms. If we do in fact, keep the same form, then the only way to use different pins is to bend at the waist and put the desired pin on the target, like we're always preaching.

Did any of that come out right, or did y'all scramble my brain?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

No. It came out exactly right.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Site Buck Guru

Your pins should be centered inside of your pin guard, however, how will you adjust for trajectory while just centering your pin guard? To me it makes more sense to center the pin you plan on using. By keeping your pin guard centered all of your shots would hit the same spot no matter which pin you are looking at. I am only talking about multiple pin sights.

If you are using an adjustable, single pin sight with the pin centered in the housing, you will have no trouble with trajectory because you are raising or lowering the whole sight thus being able to keep the pin and the housing centered. With the multiple pin sight you will only be able to keep either the housing centered or the pin, not both. (Unless one of your pins is located in the center of the housing) In effect, this is the only pin you'll be using by centering the housing. With that, I don't know how you can accurately gauge your trajectory by only centering your housing.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Your pins should be centered inside of your pin guard, however, how will you adjust for trajectory while just centering your pin guard? To me it makes more sense to center the pin you plan on using. By keeping your pin guard centered all of your shots would hit the same spot no matter which pin you are looking at. I am only talking about multiple pin sights.

If you are using an adjustable, single pin sight with the pin centered in the housing, you will have no trouble with trajectory because you are raising or lowering the whole sight thus being able to keep the pin and the housing centered. With the multiple pin sight you will only be able to keep either the housing centered or the pin, not both. (Unless one of your pins is located in the center of the housing) In effect, this is the only pin you'll be using by centering the housing. With that, I don't know how you can accurately gauge your trajectory by only centering your housing.
By bending at your waist.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I don't understand this. Seems to me that it's just a matter of personal preference. I center the pin in the peep. To me, and it's just my opinion, taking the time to center the pin guard in the peep and then putting the appropriate pin on target is just adding an extra step. Before I draw, I'm going to know which pin to use. I don't see adding an extra step into the process.
As to using proper form, I can't see any difference in centering the pin and centering the ring. You will still have to move your bow arm the required amount to get on target regardless of what you center.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

Why Arthur? Why did you do this? My brain is already hurting from thinkin about this.

I do not have a round pin guard. I have always centeredthe pin I'm usingin the peep. But now that you and GMMAT are debating this, it has me thinking....
If WE as archers/bowhunters strive to have the EXACT same form on every shot, then we should not be centering the pins in the peep. The only ways I can think of to center different pins is to change the elevation of either our anchor points or our bow arms. If we do in fact, keep the same form, then the only way to use different pins is to bend at the waist and put the desired pin on the target, like we're always preaching.

Did any of that come out right, or did y'all scramble my brain?
Sorry man, this is completely wrong. You must always keep the same form with the pin centered in the peep. You never bend at the waist or change your anchor point. If you do, you are NOT keeping the same form. You always keep the correct trajectory pin centered in the peep while using the same correct form. Never contort your body or change your anchor point in order to keep the housing centered. If you do, you'll be on your way to becomming a lousy shot.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Greg, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. How do you shoot from an elevated position like a treestand? Do you drop your bow arm or bend your waist? If you lower your bow arm, then your form CANNOT remain constant to what it is shooting from a non-elevated position. It is physically impossible.

Edit for spelling mistake. Just trying to do my part.

Quick Reply: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.