Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Center the Pin Guard in the Peep? >

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Never contort your body or change your anchor point in order to keep the housing centered. If you do, you'll be on your way to becomming a lousy shot.
Just asking, Greg.....but couldn't we substitute "pin" for "Housing" in that sentence and say the same thing?

Your pins should be centered inside of your pin guard, however, how will you adjust for trajectory while just centering your pin guard?
Logically.....if I sight my bow in with my peep and my housing aligned....it shouldn't matter where my pins are (I'm attempting to repeat the alignment when I shoot at a target, each time). As long as it's the same (sighted in and live shooting)....what difference would it make where the pin was in relationship to the housing?

I think you're misunderstanding me Greg. I don't "center the pin housing' in my peep (well, actually it is,kinda).I've said that....it just happened to work out that they're the same size when I look through my peep (my peep opening and my sight housing). I just align the two.....put the pin I want to shoot on my target....then all focus goes to the target. Peripherally....I can now tell if they become "UN-aligned".

Guys this is interesting. I'm enjoying the discussion.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

If my peep and my pin guard are "in ine" at full draw (just before I shoot).....how can all my pins be centered in the peep? I have 4.
Your eye centers the pin you are using, GMMAT, not all 4. When it centers that pin, then your pin guard obviously cannot be centered, unless that particular pin is in the exact center of the guard. And yes, I'm saying you're doing it subconsciously.

And you're too easily annoyed. [8D]

Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

If you say so, Arthur.

Thinking about it....I just know I went to a bigger peep....I THINK I know what I'm doing...and it works.

I'm OK witht that.

BTW.....whether you know it or not.....you're secretly wishing you were me before every shot. It's subconscious.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BTW.....whether you know it or not.....you're secretly wishing you were me before every shot. It's subconscious.
I decided when this was still on page one that I was going to stay out of this thread but I just had to add that I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

That is all.........[8D]
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

RJ....I'd love to hear your take on this.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

RJ....I'd love to hear your take on this.
Yeah Matt ... what say you?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they've now developed amedication for your condition, Jeff, but it's only administered along with inpatient treatment.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if you are pin gap shooting? which pin is centered? top or bottom?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

And wouldn't this "phenomenon" alleviate the chances of picking a wrong pin and shooting under or over your target.....if we're centering the pin, "subconsciously", anyway? I know I wish my brain would take over and not let me shoot one of those "other" pins when I hink I should be.

"Myself" and "I" fight about this all the time (which pin to shoot). "Me" guesses the yardage and tries to line up the peep and sight ring. It's really a crap shoot as to who wins, though.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter3.shtml

I competition shoot with pin sights and I ABSOLUTELY center the pin guard in the peep sight, so much so that I have a very precise fit of peep to pin guard diameter allowing just enough light around the outside edge that I know I am not leaning in any one direction.......I know I am, that's the first thing that is set when I settle to anchor. Its a very concious set.
Even if I am shooting the very bottom pin I am referencing my pin guard to make sure I have not altered center alignment. IMO this is the only way to use form that is as precise as a human can get from shot to shot, pin to pin.

I have been shooting recurves and longbows ALOT lately and had to pick the 3D compound up recently for a "money" shoot.......I broke it out to warm up a few days prior and right away I noticed with my longer pins I was "drifting" anchor down slightly on my longer pins and moving that center a bit and hitting higher than I should have been for that yardage. Took me a few groups to realize that I wasn't setting the rings as precisely as I should have been.

I regained my shot progression which included lining those circles up precisely and went right back to smacking nocks at my 38 and 43yd marks and it brought the POI back where it belonged in relation to the pins.
Without doing this not only was a shooting high I was also not shooting tight groups which tells me that the eye needs a little extra help centering things JUST right.

(36pts up for 30 targets out to 40+ yards and a slightly fatter wallet tells me it worked )

Quick Reply: Center the Pin Guard in the Peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.