Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Excitement!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Excitement!

So there is this property in "Slammerville" that I have had permission to hunt for the last 3 years. It has been in beans every year. I found outSaturday from some recon that it is finally in CORN!

The first two years only thesouth side of the field was planted. Last year both sides were planted. This year both sides will be planted with corn.

This is the area where many of you guys have saw my video clips and pictures of some fairly large whitetail's.

The property is extremely difficult to hunt when it is planted in beans as the preferred bedding areas are just off the fields edges. I know the preferred bedding areas by does and bucks on this property they are just almost impossible to setup on with the beans. I have only got to hunt this property once in the morning because of no good entry exit routes and saw a pretty good buck that morning, one I may regret on passing to this day.

Here is the map...

The west blue spot is a beaver dammed swamp in two places causing the large and small pool, it has a deep beaver cut "creek" connecting them.

The other blue area is an actual swamp that is bedded fairly heavily by the higher caliber bucks.

The yellow dots are stand sites that I have used and had some good sits in.

I have yet to take a buck from this farm and this property is my #1 shot at taking down a true monster buck. It isn't large enough to hunt a lot so a lot of thought and planning needs to go into each sit here. Also, I am not the only person in these woods so I have that obstacle to overcome as well, two amish and the property owners son-in-law.

What do you guys see that I am overlooking?

Winds are mostly W-SW.

[/align]

Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excitement!

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

What do you guys see that I am overlooking?

[/align]
You didn't invite me to join you LOL
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always wanted to hunt Ohio!!

You got the GPS coordinates?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm..of the huntable square it looks like your previous stands have all been placed in strategic places. I can see your thought process for picking each one. Without discernable terrain changes I cannot add anything, except confidence in your first choices. The 2 northen most, stands would be 1st choices..from pics alone.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Gr8, but I like the south dot. Can you get permission from the folks beyond you there to walk in? Coming in the back door in the morning while they are out feeding.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott - where are your available parking spots? It helps to know the means of ingress/egress when you're picking stand sites.

I'm guessing that the field edges are thick and brushy, and are known bedding areas?

What kind of action do the field corners get in the evenings? I'm guessing there will be some scrape lines along the edges once the prerut starts heating up.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Good for you, Scott. I hope you get the one you're after.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest rule of thumb I've seen/heard with corn, if there is corn, they are in it. At least with beans, you can see them. I usually can't wait til they cut the darn corn fields to put the animals back in the woods, funnels etc...some years they don't cut til after my archery season is over and I can tell you, I see more and bigger bucks when the corn is not there.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

The biggest rule of thumb I've seen/heard with corn, if there is corn, they are in it. At least with beans, you can see them. I usually can't wait til they cut the darn corn fields to put the animals back in the woods, funnels etc...some years they don't cut til after my archery season is over and I can tell you, I see more and bigger bucks when the corn is not there.
This mirrors everything I've heard, too. I'd like to hear more about this from you guys who hunt big woods and/or big corn fields.

The (admittedly) smaller fields we have here ......whether they actually DO, or not....have the reputation of holding bedded deer. Around here.....people can't wait for them to cut it. We actually hope for a good growing season....so they'll get it cut and the "perception" (at least) will go away.

As to not hijack....I'll start another thread asking about this.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM

I saw something I would love to try out sometime, and it may work in your situation as well. Pretty sure it wasa Drury movie I saw this in, a corn chute. Possibly you could pay the farmer the small cost of cutting a 3' wide by like.......60 yards long in a strategic spot and set a stand next to it. I'm sure you know the theory behind that.

Other than that, I sure don't see where else you could put a stand that would benefit you in any way. But then again, you know the "expert" that I am....[&:][&o]

Quick Reply: Excitement!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.