Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Excitement!

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Excitement!

I agree with Gr8, but I like the south dot. Can you get permission from the folks beyond you there to walk in? Coming in the back door in the morning while they are out feeding.
Negative, I was shot down by every neighboring landowner for hunting permission or access.

Scott - where are your available parking spots? It helps to know the means of ingress/egress when you're picking stand sites.
All the way to the East by the farm house and barns. It is a long walk back!

I'm guessing that the field edges are thick and brushy, and are known bedding areas?
Yes, but mostly for does and yearling bucks... The higher caliber bucks hideout in the swamp areas.

The biggest rule of thumb I've seen/heard with corn, if there is corn, they are in it. At least with beans, you can see them. I usually can't wait til they cut the darn corn fields to put the animals back in the woods, funnels etc...some years they don't cut til after my archery season is over and I can tell you, I see more and bigger bucks when the corn is not there.
Exactly now I can get into the timber without running every single deer out of the area! This is why the corn will be a huge advantage. Not every deer is going to bed in the corn all the time and they must come out for water and to check the doe bedding areas as well. A strategically placed stand capitalizing on this and I am in buisness. I took my largest racked buck using this tactic. (setting up between a large corn field and a known doe bedding area. He chased her from the corn in the A.M. right past my setup. Game over

I like when the corn has not been cut at all. The later the corn is there the more security cover / food source they have to keep them around my area. I have the security, food andwater they have all they need to stick around.

I have had a lot of success seeing bucks coming from the fields to the timber in the evenings as well. I think the corn gives them a higher sense of security to get up and movefrom the corn fields to the timbered bedding and vice versa.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Interesting, Scott....and a heckuva positive approach/game plan.

Again....good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, I think you'll be in business with the corn. From your only parking access point, you'll be able to slip through the corn largely undetected.

With a prevailing wind out of the W/SW, you're looking at a scenario where a bigbedded buck (in the corn)might come off the corn field and cruise the westernmost edge of the field (easternmost edge of the woods), scent-checking for bedded does and running his scrape line. If you can slip in there, and keep scent clean, it could be a great sit.

Personally, I have two stand sets overlooking what (was) corn last year. Both spots are 18-22' up, and nestled in the leafy field edge. You can glass the fields for hours, looking for those shaking corn stalks. I'd swear that on a really crispy, dry, calm night, you can hear a deer in the cornfield from a mile away.

I've taken two pretty nice bucks out of a cornfield edge, and both of them were taken at least two hours before dark. Weird how they felt so comfortable cruising the corn's edge at 4-5:00 in the afternoon. Normally, when those places were beans, you wouldn't see a deer until :30 minutes before dark, at the earliest.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a prevailing wind out of the W/SW, you're looking at a scenario where a bigbedded buck (in the corn)might come off the corn field and cruise the westernmost edge of the woods, scent-checking for bedded does and running his scrape line. If you can slip in there, and keep scent clean, it could be a great sit.
Right on.... Also, with a true SW wind I can tuck in justeastthewestern mostswamp bedding area so my wind does not go into it and capitalize on movement from the corn and swamp bedding area.

I've taken two pretty nice bucks out of a cornfield edge, and both of them were taken at least two hours before dark. Weird how they felt so comfortable cruising the corn's edge at 4-5:00 in the afternoon. Normally, when those places were beans, you wouldn't see a deer until :30 minutes before dark, at the earliest.
This is much the same as I have noticed over the years hunting the farms when corn is planted..... I swear it eases their nerves and they move much more freely about. If danger presents itself to them they are just a few bounds away from a sea of security cover.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Scott

What is planted in the field east of the big slough/bedding areathat you don't have access to??

Looks like the trees are thin on the very SW corner of that field bordering your hunting property line. Would there be a major trail/slight funnel/man made drainage ditch or natural /open tree area or a combination of suchconnecting both the field you can hunt and this other field at that spot through the trees.

Tim

Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM

That Place looks awefully familiar...........[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scott

What is planted in the field east of the big slough/bedding areathat you don't have access to??

Looks like the trees are thin on the very SW corner of that field bordering your hunting property line. Would there be a major trail/slight funnel/man made drainage ditch or natural /open tree area or a combination of suchconnecting both the field you can hunt and this other field at that spot through the trees.

Tim
Corn is planted in the Eastern most half of the field with weeds in the Western half. I think the western half was to wet for them to plow and plant this spring.

The area you are speaking of is a good looking spot with a couple nice Oak trees mixed into that very same area. The problem with this spot is the property owners kids have a "fort" there, the first stand I set wasright were you are speaking ofon the property I can access the first year I hunted there and they (I assume it was them) stole my lock on and climbing sticks. I set the stand in I would guess May and I went to hunt the property the first timetowards the end of the second week of October on a perfect NE wind, I found my "tree" but not my stand.I never have saw those kids in the woods when I was out there but after my stand was stolen I never went back down to that end.

I don't think those kids go back there to often because of how heavily the swamp area there is bedded. Thanks for bringing it up, I should go check it out again to see if those kids have grown up or if they still play back there.

That Place looks awefully familiar...........[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
Only if you live in NE Ohio
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Only if you live in NE Ohio
[/quote]

I'm just raz'in....try'in to make you feel a little paranoid....looks like a great place, and your stands look pretty good as well..