Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many guys.... >

How many guys....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many guys....

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Default RE: How many guys....

the reason is everyone wants to put the blame on someone else...people feel pressured by buddies bragging about shooting deer and then listening to them rub it in your face like all of us have...hunting isnt like other "sports" you can prepare and be a great shot and good at calling and do everything right and still get the short end of the stick and only succeed once every couple of years...where as in other "sports" you can be the best and succeed nine times out of ten. i think a lot of people say it because they want to have something to say when peopel say why didnt you get a deer this year
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

buckeye,

That's because people don't want other hunters to think that they aren't seeing any deer, which could indicate that they are not skilled hunters or not very dedicated. This is even more true of people that wouldn't know that person.

Though not following the logic of that prior statement, I will honestly say that I have personally said something similar (though probably more subtle or with humor) when my cousin is bragging about the 2 runt bucks he killed that year (especially if he starts picking on me). I know I saw better bucks than those and passed on more. Its human nature.

Also, if you are talking deer and there isn't much to say, that hunter might bring up the nice bucks he saw this year, but say he's hoping they get a little bigger for this year or something along those lines.

It's like when women say there are no good men to date anymore. They don't have a man and it makes them feel better. Again, I think its human nature.

Edit: Posted at same time as bballhead44, but he probably said it a little better.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes. If you saw the buck you were after, and you did not kill it, that can be considered a failure.

If you wanted to kill a 150 or better and you did not do it, that can be a failure.It is.

I think what you are saying is when asked "So did you do any good this season" you hate it when they tell you about all of the pass-ups etc etc and why dontthey just say, "No, but there is next season, and he is still out there". Man, that is boring. We alll like stories.
I never said to not BS about what you saw and what you passed...... This is part of what makes hunting so great.Just when someone asks why didn't you shoot one this year fess up and tell them the truth not blame the deer that never showed up. It didn't show up because you didn't find it!

the reason is everyone wants to put the blame on someone else...people feel pressured by buddies bragging about shooting deer and then listening to them rub it in your face like all of us have...hunting isnt like other "sports" you can prepare and be a great shot and good at calling and do everything right and still get the short end of the stick and only succeed once every couple of years...where as in other "sports" you can be the best and succeed nine times out of ten. i think a lot of people say it because they want to have something to say when peopel say why didnt you get a deer this year
Also lebeau's post

I see a lot of truth and human naturein these posts. All that matters is your firends and families opinions not some random stranger at Gander Mtn and they (yourfamily and friends)know the caliber of hunter you are (as if you need validation anyhow)
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

buckeye,

Maybe its like witnessing for QDMA folks. They sense an opening and by telling you of all the bucks they passed they are fulfilling their higher purpose in life.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Scott

I am not afraid to admit I've have failed but that never has to do with hunting big bucks. I do everything right. The bucksare the ones doing itwrong by not showing up or notwalking in killing range of me!!

Seriously... when I set a goal and don't fill a tag, I failed in filling the tag if I could not get a buck I wantedwithin killingrange.

Last year Tyler worked on a certain bigbuck. He hunted off the ground. He had him well within killing range ( roughly 20 yards and 10 yards )acouple times. Hecouldn't get a shot off due to the buck either fighting with another buck or walking by with a smaller buck inbetween him and Tyler. Tyler didn't fill his tag. Did he fail???

Somethings you can't control.

Tim
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 PM

I'll be the first to admit I have botched some great opportunities on some big deer. Pretty obvious due to the lack of giants on my wall. I do not use it as an excuse though. I have been fortunate enough to down lots of non-trophy bucks and enjoyed every one of them but know I enjoy matching wits with the big boys. I usually shoot 2 or 3 does to fill the freezer and spend the rest of the time looking for ole mossy horns.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Here is my excuse for not killing a particular buck I wanted.......shot a huge bodied, mature, but lesser-racked buck seconds before a huge bodied, mature, 150 class rack buck came along.

Putting one's self into position is necessary, but I honestly believe fate, luck, whatever many times plays a huge role. Sometimes things happen to a hunter that he cannot control. By putting yourself into position, that doesn't guarantee anything but will up the odds.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been on the tee of countless Par 3's I'm an accompished Golfer with a currrent4.6 handicap. I've taken thousands of shots at a hole -in -one. I have the ability, the skill, the desire...I've put in my time on the range..I'vehit the stick, hit the hole..even lipped out..I want to do it, what's missing?? Call it fate, luck, good fortune, whatever..there is more to the equation.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I try not to use any excuses. Well before season I set a goal and stick to it. Last year it worked well for me and payed off ina very good way. I set a goal of no less than 8 points. I passed up some really nice 6, 7 and even some small 10s that all had excellent potential. Hopefull this year they will be shooter bucks. My goal for this year is at least 8 points and no less than 125 inches. This goal ends then last week of bow season. If no shot presented by buck of my goal by the last week of bow season then anything is fair game.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

In my situation....I can only say that if I don't kill a mature buck this year.....it'll be because he isn't there.....or he doesn't offer me the opportunity. I'll be out there.

I have set a personal standard that I will adhere to. If I come up at the end of the season.....and haven't filled a buck tag.....you can rest assured that the deer din't show up. Like I said.....I'll be out there....doing what it takes (both pre-season work and spending time on stand).

I hope to not have to make such a statement.

Quick Reply: How many guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.