Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ticks

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default Ticks

I have a question for you experienced bow hunters:
What do you do about the ticks?
Here in KY ourbow season starts Sept 1 or 2 and it's not cool at all. Summer still resides here.
I know sent hiding is important, but if I'm going through the thick stuuf without repellant then I'm the walking buffet.
Is there something out there or do I have to do a lot of "picking off"when I get done for the day?
The main concern is Lyme Disease, it's here.

Thanks a bunch
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ticks

BGM...

I hunt in NC in early Sept.

I don't know whether it's related to our dry weather or not.....but we have a BUMPER crop of ticks here, this year.I treat my dog with front line.....but she still get them. I check her every day.

That being said.....I've only found one on me.....with ALL the turkey hunting I did. I don't remember getting even one on me last year, deer hunting.

I'm not going to worry about it....until it becomes an issue. I wish you luck, though.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Avon Skin So Soft Expedition in the can. Spray your socksthoroughly and your bare legs up to your package.

It says unscented which means it does not have any added. But of course it does have some odor. It helps a lot.

I get them bad!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is the circle of life my man;I have come to grips with it fore I am the erect primate who thinks logically. I sit back and shut-up and let them feed, knowing full well, that by the days end their little insignificant life will be over and I will continue another day. I suppose you could spray on whatever, or move around a bunch in an effort to find them and kill them before they bite in, but those things take away from your success. I am there to eat, the deer are there to eat and the ticks are no different. The only real difference is; if my plan plays out the way I intend, I'm the only one that lives to see another day.

See ya,

KP
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

KP,

That was poetic. I almost cried.

Tom
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

KP,

That was poetic. I almost cried.

Tom
I actually did shed a tear.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use any permathrin based repellant. I used Repel with "Permanone" during spring turkey season and I didn't get one bugger on me this season. You treat your clothes with it, and when it dries it is odorless. I have had deer walk up to within feet of me in the spring without spooking.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM

My husband and I use Permethrin Insect Repellent, it rocks. We haven't ever really had a problem with ticks when we have it on and it's totally odorless. You don't want to spray it on your skin at all since it is pretty powerful. We spray down our cloths and then put them in a trash bag the night before. It stays active forever too, so you don't have to spray it on everytime you go out.

Here's a link to the stuff we use:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031692516902a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=permethrin&N=4887&a mp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&am p;Ntt=permethrin&noImage=0

Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

It is the circle of life my man;I have come to grips with it fore I am the erect primate who thinks logically. I sit back and shut-up and let them feed, knowing full well, that by the days end their little insignificant life will be over and I will continue another day. I suppose you could spray on whatever, or move around a bunch in an effort to find them and kill them before they bite in, but those things take away from your success. I am there to eat, the deer are there to eat and the ticks are no different. The only real difference is; if my plan plays out the way I intend, I'm the only one that lives to see another day.

See ya,

KP
That made me nauseous. Just the thought of knowing something is sitting there feeding on my blood gives me the heeby jeebys. I'll take some spray thank you.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

See ya,

KP
thats the stupidest thing i've read on this website. ever.

i have lyme disease, and believe me you DO NOT want it.

would you knowingly let a west nile infected mosquito bite you?

would you have unprotected sex with an aids infected partner?

get real.

Quick Reply: Ticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.