Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting/Archery...What would YOU say?? >

Bowhunting/Archery...What would YOU say??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting/Archery...What would YOU say??

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Bowhunting/Archery...What would YOU say??

My bowshop owner calls me during lunch.......and tells me the local TV station is coming by, tomorrow, to do a story on bowhunting and archery. He asked me to come over and shoot during that time.....and talk to the reporter (myself and another guy I shoot with, often).

I'm trying to think if there's anything I should or shouldn't say. I think I'll be fine on the "shouldn't". I'd just hate to have a "forum" and not say something that SHOULD be said.

May be a non-issue.....but I wanted to be prepared.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting/Archery...What would YOU say??

(question stated and answerred..I'm deleteing now that that situation has been addressed)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

You know GR8.....I think I'd do "OK" in that scenario......but the reporter is a hunter/outdoorsman himself. he was in attendance (voluntary......not asked to by work) when the Church put on the Outdoor expo a few months back (when I gave the treestand seminar).

This will be made to PROMOTE our sport. I have no doubts of that.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM

When I get the opportunity I stress the "Sport" of archery and archery hunting, the skill, and the fact that 90% of archers are very ethical and respectablehunters.

And of course mention the importance of getting young kids involved for the discipline and challenge.

Very cool. Just some thoughts.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing you "should" do is to make mention of how the pro-shop has helped you in getting involved in the sport and thank them for helping you find something you truly love.

This puts a plug in for the shop, promotes the sport, and makes you like like the all-around good guy that you are. alkdjlaa Oops, sorry my uncontrollable laughter made my typing go awry.

Seriously, a little plug like that makes everyone happy.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM

I ditto the plugging the archery shop, getting kids involved and all the other good reasons we bowhunt.

I would alsoflat out ask him too what "angle" he's looking to take in promoting archery and bowhunting. Is he looking to highlight why its becoming more and more popular? Why more people are getting into it, etc? Or is there some sort of more local angle he's taking? How bowhunting has taken off in your area? Then you can provide him with more specific responses.

In fact, I would think about the top three to fivereasons you like to bowhunt and prepare a few statements/quotes you can share with the reporter. You can write these down so you can work out what you want to say and then toss the paper out. Then when it comes time you can just rattle off your quotes naturally without thinking too much about them.

Plus reporters like it when you can keep it simple and focused for them. The top three reasons is more likely to get play then someone who rattles off a list of many reasons, which may seem disjointed and force the reporter to pick and choose which he feels are most important.

Good luck! Always great when you can promote bowhunting.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well how did it go Jeff?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

It went fine. We shot a few 3D targets.....talked...the cameraman shot his shots....and then I got to speak a little one-on-one with the reporter. I'll DVR it when it comes on in a couple of weeks.

The reporter is a 3rd yr bowhunter, but a "bit" of a novice. He wanted to do this for all the right reasons, though. He's trying to go at this from the angle we would ALL want him to.

Should be interesing,.....the final version. We had over1.5 hours of footage between our shooting and us talking.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM

cool. post that sucker when you get it or direct usto the location.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful-I was asked to speak to some boyscouts back in the mid 60s & do a little shooting exibit.
Since then Iwas invited to make several speeches &exibitions over the years. Don't do it anymore but years ago people knew much less about Archery & Bowhunting. Thats when there were less than 15.000 Bowhunters in Ill.
Anything to promote the sport is great.
Congratulations & thanks for taking the time. It's the little things on local levels that do wonders.