Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does Helical Fletching help? >

Does Helical Fletching help?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does Helical Fletching help?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Does Helical Fletching help?

Doarrows with Helical fletching and 100gr muzzy fixed blade broad headsfly betterthan they woudl with straight fletching?

If so does it matter if it has a right or left twist?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does Helical Fletching help?

Yes and no.

If your bow is tuned properly, and you have good shooting form then having helical on your arrows is detrimental because that "spinning" is expending energy that otherwise would be used as speed. So your arrows are going slower, and have more air resistance.

However, when it comes to hunting, cold, buck fever, odd shooting positions happen. No matter how good you are in June on the ground, come October 20' up in the tree your form might come all to pieces...thats where that helical saves you because it helps stabilize and correct arrow flight much much quicker.

Its give take really. I fletch my blazer vanes with a slight right helical and I shoot all the way out to 70 yards in practice. They fly very well.

EDIT: Also...it doesn't matter if they are right or left...as long as they are all THE SAME. Can't have one left, one right and one straight. Make sure that once you set your jig, you use the same clamp, same adjustments etc on ALL of that bunch of arrows. If you change anything...make sure you take note of it. For precision sake, if I tear up one fletching on an arrow, I cut the other two off and start over, just to be sure that everything is exactly the same! Thats the important part!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport 2

Doarrows with Helical fletching and 100gr muzzy fixed blade broad headsfly betterthan they woudl with straight fletching?

If so does it matter if it has a right or left twist?

Thanks
Yes. R or L does not matter.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Doesn't have to be helical either, a slight offset will work just as well in most cases.

Paul