Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kids that don't hunt? >

Kids that don't hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kids that don't hunt?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kids that don't hunt?

Do any of you parents have sons or daughters that have decided that they don't want to hunt. How did you take it?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kids that don't hunt?

I'm no parent, but my dad andI both hunt, but my younger brother decided hunting wasn't for him. My dad didn't mind, he probably would have liked him to at least try it, but to each his own. My brother does love fishing, so he always goes with my dad and I on our fishing trips. I always just extend the invite to my brother to go hunting with me when everI go out(turkey or deer), maybe one day he'll want to give it a try.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't answer your original questions, but I can share the opposite experience. I love hunting and outdoors. My dad and brothers have never hunted....I don't know where I picked it up at....but I wouldn't give it back for nothing. Anyways, even though my dad never has the urge to step one foot into the woods or cast one fishing pole, he always loves hearing my stories. After every buck or turkey I kill, he is always the first one I call and share the story with. I think it is his way to share the hobby with me without having to actually take part.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

My issue with my son is......he doesn't want to put forth the effort it takes to be SUCCESSFUL, hunting. He wants to take his hunting clothes off and leave them in the floor of his room.....not keep his bow stored properly.......not do what it takes to maintain a "relatively" scent-free regimen.......but......

He STILL expects me to take him into the best spots I have.

I won't do it. I've told him I'll take him "where they are"......if he'll keep his hunting clothes stored properly.....take care of his equipment.....and stay proficient with his bow. I took him in the honey-hole exactly ONCE, last year. NOTHING (hunting-wise) would make me happier than to JUST film him hunting, this year. BUT....I'm not going to let him ruin the spot for both of us by "half-assing" it. He's 15, not 8. He's old enough to know that there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things.

I want him to hunt.......but I'm ALSO trying to teach him some LIFE lessons. I've provided him with EVERYTHING he needs to be successful. He simply needs to exert a LITTLE effort.

I don't think this is wrong.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, that is a very respectable way of going about it. I was previously working at a college and I noticed that a lot of kids these days want everything handed to them. Many of them wanted an A just for showing up to class everytime! Anyway, keep up the good work, he'll appreciate it later.

My son is only two, but he already knows what a "big buck" is and mouths grunt calls when I ask him what a big buck says. I will do everything I can to instill the passion for the outdoors in him, but if he decides it is not something he wants to do I won't force him. I have a feeling he'll be anxious to get out there with me though.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Bry....I STRUGGLE with feelings that I'm asking too much of him......then I think about it....and realize I'm NOT! He has a $1K bow. He has the best treestands. He has accesss to the SAME deer grounds I do.....and MORE time to hunt them.

I just won't let him go in there without a scent control regimen being followed. He hasn't proven to me he's WILLING to do what it takes......so he doesn't go, often.

I've already told him I'd go and ONLY film, this year.....(bought the camera). I told him I'd mount (easy, Germ.....take to the taxi) WHATEVER deer he shoots, first. I take him to the indoor range. We have a practice ladder stand and multiple targets at home. I refuse to give in on this one thing that I think is REALLY important.

I honestly believe I risk the chance that he'll rebel and not hunt. He's at that age. It's a chance I'm willing to take.

I took hime ONE TIME into "where they are", last year.....when I asked him to go with me, Thanksgiving Day. We washed his gear......got him scent-free......hiked in.....and he saw SEVENTEEN deer (Including the 8-pointer I later harvested). He was PUMPED.....and I thought we'd turned the corner. He never got totally excited about it the rest of the season.

I'm doing my part. He'll have to do his.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot

How did you take it?
Drive 'em to another state, give'em a large piece of cardboard and a Sharpie and tell 'em that they're on their own from now on!

I would also be a GREAT time to tell 'em that they were actually adopted as well.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have three kids,two boys and a girl. The oldest now 15 showed not much interest until the age of nine, after that he got eat up with it and loves to do nothing better. I use to take my daughter (NOW 13) when she was younger, we had some life long memories and alot of fun, but she has other intrest more important to her. I still give her the invite once and awhile, but she is not interested at the moment. Im starting to ease my 7 year old into it now, he is at the, i cant hold still age but i take him on fun hunts not the serious ones, where he can just see and appreciate wildlife till he gets a little older, and just have fun with it at the moment. if yours end up not liking it, i would not sweat it, to each his own, support them with what ever they do. all three of mine ALL have other intrest to. enjoy them while you can, it seems mine are growing up WAY to fast.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My step son is 16 and has no intrest in it. I took him on 3 youth hunts and he has shot 2 deer. After the last hunt he asked me do I have to do this anymore. I told him if he don't like it you don't have to go but you are always welcome. So I think he is done hunting but we'll see.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'llnever force it, but boys like doing what dad does and I like taking my kids with me on just about everything I do. Like my wife says.. they dont have a chance! At this age anyway, I can't keep my boys out of the woods.

We shot bows a lot this weekend, Tyson my 3 year old is getting it down really well, he understands the safety aspects and is hitting the target consistently at 5yards. Jess is ready for an upgrade on the trainer bow and now asks to go shoot even without me (I have his target set up where I can keep an eye on him) I am letting Jess take Tyson on ground squirrel hunts with his BB gun. (I canseethem from the house) They go out, set up in the tall grassand will sit for a long time waiting on a field rat to pop his head up. They take a walkie-talkie and chat with Dee and I in the house. LMAO its funny...

Jess hit one this weekend..I think the BB bounced off!

Quick Reply: Kids that don't hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.