Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kids that don't hunt? >

Kids that don't hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kids that don't hunt?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Kids that don't hunt?

Shed:

That's cool. Enjoy it. I just took my son over to his girlfriend's house to fish with her dad and little brother. We fish at home, too, but they have "fringe benefits" "over there".

Good deal with the youngins!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well my reason for asking is that I've been taking my 8 year old son hunting with me since he was 2 1/2. But here lately he's seem to be losing his interest in shooting with me. He has always like shooting bows and guuns with me but not lately. Although I would never try to force or guilt him into hunting and shooting with me I can't lie I'll be really disappointed if he decides to quit doing both.[X(]
Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gutshot, 8 is probably too young for him to decide he doens't "like" hunting, he will probably go through phases where he likes it more or less.

My foster brother doesn't like hunting at all and won't do it anymore. He decided this at about age 13 or 14.

We did have some miserable trips, but what I think what did it for him was when he shot a squirrel and it was laying there squealing on the ground. I heard all the commotion and went over there, said what the heck are you doing, and finished the squirrel off with my boot (don't read anything into my avatar ). Of course I don't take any pleasure in all that, but it needed to be done. That experience really upset him. Some people are just softies and have a natural negative reaction to the "killing" part. And no, he is not a fairy, but now an ordained pastor and father of 2.

So I see three reasons kids don't like hunting (that have been exposed to it): (1) they cannot get over the act of killing an animal (squeamish types), (2) it is too boring (indifferent types), or (3) it is too much work (lazy types).
Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I think there's one not on that list, too. I'd put a picture of HER up.....but I'd better not (his girlfriend).

Mitch loves shooting his bow. He loves being in the woods. He just doesn't want to do what it takes to be really successful at it. Maybe he'll be one of those guys that hunts 4 or 5 times a year and is happy doing so. He might even be one that doesn't practice scent control.....and is still successful. He just won't do that under my roof.....in my hunting areas.

I've given him carte Balnche access to the woods over by his grandad's.......and he's not seeing deer when he hunts, there. I tell him to get clean.....and I'll take him where they ARE. it's just not that important to him.....and he KNOWS the numbers of deer I see....and he's seen them.

I'm not pushing, any more. I'll ask......and that's all I can do. I'd love to spend more QUALITY time with him, though.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

LeBeau: I beleive if he decides not to hunt he'll fall under #2. He loves the killing, gutting and skinning part I just don't know if he's ever going to be able to sit for hours at a time and wait. So far I've only taken him squirrel hunting where we set for a few minutes and then move on. I thought maybe this year I'll take my bow along and make hime set a little longer.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM

I did not hunt when I was younger. I would shoot the occasional squirrel or rabbit, but I didn't set out hunting them very often and most years didn't purchase a hunting permit. I did however take hunter safety when I was 14 or 15 with my step dad. I actually really enjoyed it.

I was very into the the shooting sports and owned several weapons including a few centerfires and some muzzle loaders. I just didn't have much interest in hunting at that age. My father hunted some, and my step dad was big into coon hunting and liked to deer hunt with muzzle loaders. I had absolutely no desire to deer hunt when I was young. I had many family members and friends that did it, just not me. And my older brother doesn't even like guns. He has nothing against them, just doesn't interest him.

I got into archery when I turned 30, and then a co worker got me to try deer hunting with my bow first, then a muzzle loader and after that a shotgun. No rifles where I live.

Now I'm considering giving up deer hunting and concentrating on bunnies, Pheasant and Turkey. Because of my small size it is just easier and more enjoyable to me. I like deer hunting, but logistically it is a nightmare for me if I shoot something. I don't even own a freakin truck.

If my kids don't want to hunt, that is fine with me. As long as they understand the purpose behind it. The offer is on the table but if it doesn't interest them they are free to pursue something that does. I would be afraid forcing them may turn them into an anti later on.

Paul
Old 05-29-2007, 03:22 PM

i dont got kids but my dad and i both hunt my older brother doesnt i dont think he minds at least hes got 1 kid that enjoys the out doors as much as him
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the kids today would rather sit in front of a PC killing things all day then go out in the woods to do it. I also think some kids are worried about being accepted by their non-hunting/ killing friends and school mates.So, theygive in to peer pressure.

Anymore if you are a hunter in some areas you are considered some sort of caveman. I grew-up hunting and a lot of my classmates and friendsdidn't. (None of their parents hunted either) However, back then they still thought it was cool that I liked to do that.

My coworkers kid me about hunting all the time. I tell them when the crap hits the fan and they can't buy meat at the store don't come crying to me.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

Yeah, a girlfriend can put that kabosh on hunting activities. As I've said in another post, hunting 2 legged deer usually comes first on most men's priority lists.

The desire to do what it takes for successful hunting can also wax and wane. I am now taking deer hunting a lot more seriously this and last season, although I have been deer hunting off and on (not seriously) for almost 20 years. I guess it is a stage of life thing. I have focused my hobbies more (not much golf), get to spend time with my dad, have more knowledge, patience, better equipment, etc., better land to hunt, etc.

So as with many kids who don't always fully appreciate their parent's advice, efforts, money, etc., he probably won't always take it for granted.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT,

Im not trying to start a fight, but as a 16 year old, your rules seem a little rough. Especially the part about scent control. Me and my brothers do absalutly nothing about scent control and we fill our tags every year. If you arent going to share in the hunting experience with your son just becouse he gets a little lazy and doesnt practive scent control, then you are really gong to miss out.

My dad taught me all about hunting. He works alot nowand I havnt hunted with him in over a year, but me and2 of my brothers are doing something hunting related just about every day and we love it and its all thanks to him.

Quick Reply: Kids that don't hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.