Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 female black bear bow hunter needs help! >

female black bear bow hunter needs help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

female black bear bow hunter needs help!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 PM

Default female black bear bow hunter needs help!

I am a 128 lb female that shoots a Mathews Mustang with a 26 inch draw length and a 52 lb pull. I use a 100 grain Muzzy broadhead. I am leaving this next week for a black bear hunt in Canada and really want to kill a black bear with my bow. I will be taking a rifle also. My question is to you bear hunting pro's out there, do you think that the set up that I have is sufficient enough to successfully harvest a 300 lb black bear if shot ideally? The last thing that I want to do is wound any animal. I have read several people say that you need at least a 125 grain broadhead with a 60-70lb pull weight and a 28 inch draw. Is all of this really necessary? If so, my dreams of killing a black bear with a bow are out the window. Help!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Default RE: female black bear bow hunter needs help!

I have a fair bit of experience with bears, in the last 2 years I've been in on over 10 bears, you got more than enought. Black bears aren't that tough. I know several guys who have taken bears with 45-55 lb long/recurves. A 52 lb compound definatly produces enough energy.

I personally shoot 70 just because... however I have used 60 lbs on several bears and never failed to pass through, I've taken bears up to 350 lbs and the arrow keeps on going.

Have no fears you got plenty of energy, However I wouldn't recomend trying to break the shoulders just shoot it like its a whitetail and your good to go.

Kirby
Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: female black bear bow hunter needs help!

youllbe all set just make sure you make a good shot and if your still worried keep your shot to 30 yards or less.... my little bro who shoots a mathews legacy at 54 pounds with a 100g NAP spitfire killed a bear at 35 yards so i think your all set..goodluck with the bugs