Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scrapes, either real or mock... >

scrapes, either real or mock...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scrapes, either real or mock...

Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default scrapes, either real or mock...

Does anyone that hunts scrapes (real or mock) have pic's that they can post? Also how about some tips on the mock ones. I was reading the"scrape" post in the deerhunting forum but imagine there has to be some good info here among the bowhunters as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scrapes, either real or mock...

I don't have any pics but I'm a big fan of mock scrapes. I place them in my shooting spots because deer see them and have to check them out. That is is they do see them. If they do they have always gone over to them to sniff around giving plenty of time to shoot if I wanted to.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

BKE....

I've hunted a scrape one time....after I witnessed deer using it. It was fruitful....in the sense I saw 4 deer work it that very morning.

I'm trying to figure out whata photo is going to tell you, though. Have you ever seen one? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM

KILLED LOTS OF DEER OVER BOTH REAL AND MOCK. MY MAIN FOCUS IN LATE OCT EARLY NOV. BEST TO HUNT ONES NEAR BEDDING AREA. I HAVE HAD MORE SUCCESS WITH MOCK. I SEEM TO CONTROL SITUATION BETTER. DON'T USE DOM. BUCK URINE. AND I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH USING DOE N HEAT TO EARLY. AS SOON AS THEY SHED VELVET THE BIG ONES ARE READY TO BREED. BEST SCENT USED BUCK FIRE BY WRC. CAN'T FIND IT ANYMORE DO NOT LIKE TINK'S. HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH LAYING DOE DECOY AND LIL CAN BLEAT OVER SCRAPES. KILLER COMBO.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

First time I used them was last season, and I was amazed at the traffic they can create. I was hunting a very small parcel and I put two scrapes about 15 yards apart along the edge I was hunting, they were both in front of me, one left, one right. I made them on a weds and I hunted on Saturday and had 5 bucks (all small) work the scrapes when I was there. Two of the bucks I had seen before and they just moved through, but with the scrapes, they all stopped and took a look before moving on. I also used doe scent in mine, specifically Doc's Devastator 249 early, then just regular doe-in-heat later on.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Made two mock scrapes on some conservation land we were hunting on the field/wood line edge. Come back the next day and find a big ol deer hoof print in the middle of them and they were wet. That showed me something. Convinced me to try them more often.