Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Idaho black bear (getting good) >

Idaho black bear (getting good)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Idaho black bear (getting good)

Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Idaho black bear (getting good)

I got to sit for the first time since hauling in my bait 9 days ago. We reached the spot around 1:00 in the afternoon.

Things started out slow, not to much surprise, I knew that the bears had been hitting me pretty good when I inspected the bait, but we got in a little early.

Around 6:30 I looked left out of my blind and saw a bear approaching. The bear moved into my large pile of power bars and layed down right in the middle. We watched the 5 foot blonde sow gulp down several power bars. We were able to get it all on video. She stayed for 5 minutes or so

After several minutes of eating she picked up a wind from down the ridge and ran off. Knowing that it was not us, I watched from the direction that she was alarmed. A HUGE boar stood up at 40 yards. He was a cinnomon blonde color with a cream color patch on his chest. He quickly went to all 4's and followed in the direction of the sow. About an hour later from the right side of the ridge, something was running right at us. A sow appeared and ran right by us at 15 yards and quickly vanished off the other side of the ridge,.

The whole time we sat until dark, there was commotion all over the hillside. I am going to give things a rest and head back in tomorrow to see if the boar comes in. what an experience to hunt bears from a ground blind. I could have been done already, but I would like to have a crack at the big one.

2months worth of preparation and 500 miles of driving has more than paid off already. I can't wait to see what tomorrow night brings,
Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho black bear (getting good)

great story, and good luck on your quest...hope you smoke out the big guy...keep us informed!

kyle
Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

That is awsome!!! I hope everything works out for you. I am finaly going to be gettting back on the 23 or so if everything goes well and nothing breaks. Well hope you get a ckack at him tonight. I will pm you when i get back to idaho.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chad,

Are you at all nervous walking out of there in the dark?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome hunt. It would be sweet to geta blond one. Keep at it!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

NICE! Make sure you post pics if you get one.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will post pics. I would have shot the blonde bear, but I got a blonde one last year. Almost every bear in this area is color phase.

I don't get nervouse at all walking out in the dark. I guess that I am more scared of scaring them off the bait. The equalizer is always close at hand anyway!!!

When I get the footage, I will try to post a link to photobucket.5 1/2 hours and counting.

Mac, get back here safe and thanks for what you are doing.........
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk,

Hey best of luck bud, I am sure you'll get the one your after.. all the hard work and effort will pay off..You always seem to get what your after! good luck! looking forward to pics!

Troy