Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would You Get The Buck??? >

Would You Get The Buck???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Get the deer
78.67%
Try and reason with the guy, even though noone has ever been able too
0%
Leave the deer
0%
Call Game Warden
21.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Get The Buck???

Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Would You Get The Buck???

OK .... You are huntinga neighboring land to a guy that hates hunters and has openly made it known that he will not let hunters on his land to recover a wounded deer. He never walks as far back as you hunt.

You shoot the buck of a lifetime ... it runs 10 yards onto said neighbors land and dies ..... noone is around, and the leaves are falling, covering your trail with ease ......

WHAT DO YOU DO????
Old 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would You Get The Buck???

well most states have that law where you have to be permitted to get the deer. If thats the case, contact the game warden if he wont willingly let you. If not, thats a tough call. If I were set into that position right now, I know its not the "right" answer, but I'm getting the buck. Just go get him drag him the 10yds back, and go on your way. 10yds isn't much but if it were a good ways it would be a different story, but 10yds is a jump and crash. I know it wasn't the "right" answer but it was my honest one. I HIGHLY doubt that many would flat out say no and leave the deer 10yds away to rot. Just my $.2
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM

get the dang deer it isnt that hard. to leave the deer being only ten yards away, is FAR WORSE of a crime than hopping over and dragging it back. Never thought any true hunter would knowingly leave a deer to rot.

it is a totally different story if the deer ran on to his farm and out of sight. if i didnt know where the deer was, i would go ask permission again and reason with the guy. what person would let a deer rot just because they dont like hunting or hunters. that is a hypocrite if ive ever seen one.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

well most states have that law where you have to be permitted to get the deer. If thats the case, contact the game warden if he wont willingly let you. If not, thats a tough call. If I were set into that position right now, I know its not the "right" answer, but I'm getting the buck. Just go get him drag him the 10yds back, and go on your way. 10yds isn't much but if it were a good ways it would be a different story, but 10yds is a jump and crash. I know it wasn't the "right" answer but it was my honest one. I HIGHLY doubt that many would flat out say no and leave the deer 10yds away to rot. Just my $.2
Matt, I would do the same ..... AND I don't see anything wrong with it ...... it's like going a mile over the speed limit
Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt even think twice, I'm getting the deer. I would also expect my neighboring hunters to do the same on my land even if I havent talked to them 1st.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Per the other post. What is everyone getting so worked up about? Spend 30 seconds a few feet over the property line and drag it out! Not everything's so black and white per the speeding one mile or 50 miles over the limit example. A few feet over the line to retrieve the deer is nowhere near the same as hiking several hundred yards in, setting up on land thats not yours and shooting a deer there.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Without a second thought, I get the deer.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

you'd be crazy ifyou didn't walk the 30 feet and get your buck of a life time.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM

I'd be in and out. I'd get my deer and if it just so happened that he saw me, well then I'd take the consequences.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to get the deer, I agree that not doing so would be a worse crime.

I grew up bow hunting in Illinois next door toa landowner exactly like the hypothetical one described above. There was no reasoning with him, no calling the warden (nothing they could do if he chose not to let you on), and no leaving meat to rot! If you can see it, and it is in the back woods with little risk of discovery...You go get that deer!!! That's how it works.

On the other hand, if I couldn't see the deer after it went on the dudes property I would have to let it go. In my particular case, the landowner had fully prosecuted a number of folks over the years, so there was a case history as to the result if you got caught. I think the guy should have been strung up, but hey, to each his own. He wasn't an outfitter, just malicious with regard to other people, and hunting was not the only activity he got into conflicts with neighbors over. Just an onery dude, and not one to risk losing your hunting rights over. When we hunted near his boundary we passed a lot of good boiler roomshots, and only took totally confident-type kill shots. However, we still wound up with a deer on his place from time to time....

Quick Reply: Would You Get The Buck???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.