HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Idaho black bear (getting good)
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default Idaho black bear (getting good)

I got to sit for the first time since hauling in my bait 9 days ago. We reached the spot around 1:00 in the afternoon.

Things started out slow, not to much surprise, I knew that the bears had been hitting me pretty good when I inspected the bait, but we got in a little early.

Around 6:30 I looked left out of my blind and saw a bear approaching. The bear moved into my large pile of power bars and layed down right in the middle. We watched the 5 foot blonde sow gulp down several power bars. We were able to get it all on video. She stayed for 5 minutes or so

After several minutes of eating she picked up a wind from down the ridge and ran off. Knowing that it was not us, I watched from the direction that she was alarmed. A HUGE boar stood up at 40 yards. He was a cinnomon blonde color with a cream color patch on his chest. He quickly went to all 4's and followed in the direction of the sow. About an hour later from the right side of the ridge, something was running right at us. A sow appeared and ran right by us at 15 yards and quickly vanished off the other side of the ridge,.

The whole time we sat until dark, there was commotion all over the hillside. I am going to give things a rest and head back in tomorrow to see if the boar comes in. what an experience to hunt bears from a ground blind. I could have been done already, but I would like to have a crack at the big one.

2months worth of preparation and 500 miles of driving has more than paid off already. I can't wait to see what tomorrow night brings,