Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you knowingly break the law? >

Would you knowingly break the law?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you knowingly break the law?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Would you knowingly break the law?

Scenario is.....you have theCHOICE of whether or not to hunt a particular parcel. You know, in advance, that the adjacent landowners have the right to DENY you entrance to their property to retrieve downed game (your state's law).

Would you (Simple yes or no) KNOWINGLY break the law to retrieve a deer?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you knowingly break the law?

If they haven't explicitly denied you and their land is NOT posted then it would be my take that you are NOT breaking the law.

If the land were posted then I would break the law to retrieve the animal. If caught, then I would have to suffer the consequences, but I would not deny what I did.

EDIT: waaay to many unknown variables for as simple yes/no.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

I am fortunate where most of the neighboring landowners wouldn't care and would likely want the deer off their property.

That said, yes, I'd retrieve the deer and pay the fine if necessary. But I would try not to put myself into a situation where that could possibly happen in the first place. Meaning, I'd try to hunt at least a 200 yards from a "strange" property line.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

No, we always make contact with the landowner before crossing on and retrieving the deer. We had to do this a few years back when my father shot a 150" 10 pointer and it jumped the fence.The landowner would not allow us to take our guns with us, but we could try and find the deer, and thankfully we did, and he was expired.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

No

In America it is private property rights that are the biases for the rest of our freedoms.

Your right to hunt in no way supersedes the land owners rights to deny you entry.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Just don't read anything into the scenario I depicted. It's the only choices you have.

For the scenario's sake, though.....permission has already been denied, UP-FRONT.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with chucker34. I'd try not to put myself in that position. Fortunately, everywhere I'm lined up to hunt I don't have that problem. If I think it's important to know the adjacent land-owners stance before the hunt. If he refused to let me access his land to track a deer, then I'd put some distance between myself and his property line.
That being said, I'd answer your question with a "maybe". If I tracked a deer to the property line and saw it lying 20 yards on the other side???? I'm probably crossing the line. Sorry.[&o]

GMMAT,
What would you do?
(Had to edit that. I'm not sure what I'd do in that instance, but it would beextremely difficultto leave a buck lying 10-20 yards away because someone doesn't want my footprints on his ground.)
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

For the scenario's sake, though.....permission has already been denied, UP-FRONT.
Then I guess I am either hunting far enough away or somewhere else.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is, to pursue legal action, the landowner would have to catch me, which I can assure you, will never happen.

If I hunt all year toshoot a deer, and he's down, and I know where he's at, heWILL be going home with me, without question. There is no fence, posted line, river or lake that will stop me. If that means leaving for a while and coming back later in the dark or at a better time, then it is what it is.

But, with that said, there's nowhere that I hunt where the neighbors wouldn't let me go get my deer. I don't have much, but I do have people skills.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Then I guess I am either hunting far enough away or somewhere else.
I have a hard time putting a DEER over and above the rights of a private landowner.

Quick Reply: Would you knowingly break the law?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.