Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scariest moment in the woods >

scariest moment in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scariest moment in the woods

Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Default RE: scariest moment in the woods

ORIGINAL: pjhunts

I was stalking some deer that were at the end of a long finger of woods right before dark. That's when i noticed a truck drive up on the other side of the woods with no lights on. I then saw 2 guys get out and heard one say "Hey there's one". That's when my life was changed forever. Crack! a rifle shot. Then a tree limb snapped off about 14 inches in front of my face. I thought surely they weren't shooting at me. Then another shot, same result. I ran to the nearest tree and laid behind it while these two idiots emptied their rifles ~15-20 shots in total. The dirt was flying up on both sides of me. They were just missing me by inches. I was mortified, speechless.I waited until they started reloading and ran for the ditch to make my way home. That was definitely not the way I had intended my Christmas eve hunt to go. That was about 10 yrs ago and still to this day I jump when I hear a gunshot.
That's pretty unreal man! I'd be speechless for a week.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Fork Horn

Was elk hunting in SW Colorado with my brother and a friend in Oct 2004. It was our second night in camp and sometime in the middle of the night I get woke up by my brother telling me to quit hitting the back of the tent. We had a 10x10 tent and with 3 cots in it and our equipment it was tight and all of out cots were jammed up tight against the back wall. I quietly informed him I wasn’t hitting the wall because my arms were tucked inside my sleeping back. Just as I was telling him this little tidbit of information the back wall was hit hard again but this time it hit me on top of the head…not hard but more than enough to get my undivided attention. I gave a loud shout for what ever it was to get out of there and the banging stopped. Next morning some guys camped not far from up asked if we saw the sow bear and her cubs last night…I told them we didn’t see them but she made her presents known. Too close for comfort!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

long time ago.. galaxy far far away.... black bearsowwith two cubscharged me while Ished hunting..she was on me like stink on chit.. she could of rolled me but for what ever reason she stopped about 10 yards in front of me and pounded her paws on the ground and snapped her teeth...

lucky I had my 44 mag, I dug it out and proceded to send one right over her head..she bailed as fast as she had approached...

its happened two more times since then...but that first encounter was a surprise..all three times I havebeen forcedto shoot over those ole bags to get them to leave.. havent had to kill one yet..hope I dont..but would if needed...
Old 05-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was walking to my climber one morning in the river bottoms. I was getting close to my stand when I noticed a set of eyes that were looking at me they were about60 yds away. I could not tell what it was because it was still about 45 minutes before it would start breaking daylight. The eyes looked like theywere about3 feet off the ground. I stopped at my climber an looked at the eyes then looked at my climber. I turned my back on it an started up the tree. When it got daylight there was nothing there. I do not know what it was never heard anything.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Surprised nobody mentioned snakes,

Sure they are not the largest of creatures and don't growl, but I have seen the damage they can do to someone, and I was just glad I was wearing waders when I had a very close encounter with one.

Buddy and I were wood duck hunting in an old, deep slough, where the water was up to our waists. While moving to get in position for the roost, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and a humongous water mocassin was coiled up on a branch not more than 24" from me. He was absolutely in position to strike. I flailed back, whipped my shotgun around and shot as quick as I could causing water, branch and snake parts to fly everywhere. If I had moved another 6" closer, he would almost certainly have latched onto my arm or face. [&:]
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to say one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me is walking up on quail and them busting out. Everytime it happens it takes me a while to calm down. I'm always terrified of walking up on skunks in the dark too [8D]. Ive also been setting with my step dad ( I think I was about 8) we were watching 2 bears meander through the woods. They were about 50yds and they did'nt have me scared at all and then all of a sudden a chipmunk jumps down beside me from the branch above and almost scared me to death. We still laugh about that one to this day. As far as being purely terrified and life threatening, ive been blessed not to have any close calls.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know which one to chose i have a couple and i'm not all that old yet.

i have been lost 3 times,but after walking for awhile either found my dad or a road/place i knew. I would say the time i shot the bear scared me the most....

I was deer hunting a few years ago next to our cow pasture and noticed all the cows were bunched up with the two horse on the egde of the fence. so i decided that i would see what got them so riled,. well i walked out to them and saw a black thing in the far pasture. well i decided "hey yes its my chance to get a bear" (i only had a 30-30 and 4 bullets) well i got to prob 50 yard and relized the bear was alot bigger then i thought and that he had no idea i was their,so resting the gun on a rock wall i shot. well it hit him and he started spinning and rolling on the ground then got up and ran into this small epice of woods. i was sitting their all pleased with myslef when out he came heading toward the stone was i was kneeing at,welll let me tell u i was not sticking around to see if he knew where i was or not,so i booked it towards our herd bull(prob a ton and a half of pissed off beefalo bull) used him as a sheild then walked do to the house. Next day me my dad and my sis and mom go looking for the bear we found good blood for awhile till where he bedded for the night then he stopped bleeding. this year i was him twice over the summer ,he has a limp in his front leg but other then that seems ok,still scared the life out of me though
Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Bow hunting on private property during late september. I sat on a ridge over looking a stream about 50 yards away with my back against a pine tree with low hanging branches for cover. I dozed off after about a hour and was woken up by yelling and screaming in the distance then I look up onto the ridge directly across from me and I see 9 does and 2 young bucks run full tilt right at me. I get down on one knee and nock a arrow thinkin a got a great chance then all of the sudden shots ring out. I had branches breakin over my head and could here the bullets whizzin around me so I hit the dirt and gfot behind this little pinetree and started yellin but the shots got closer and closer and after the deer ran past me I looked around the tree to see 3 young boys with rifles pointed twards me. I kept yellin but it didnt matter they just kept shooting for what seemed like a hour. When they finnally stopped to reload I took off to my truck and heard them laughin as I was runnin away.

I got back to my truck and called the police and then the land owner and got 2 of the craziest responses in my life. The police said that I should calm down and that I needed to call the land owner before callin them for help. The land owner said that his son and some of his buddies had graduated the day before and were just blowin off some steam. I couldnt believe that the owner had no care in the world for my safety so I quit hunting on gave him all the crop damage permits back and pulled my tools and my welder of his farm. The old man called me 2 days later askin where I was and I told him to goto hell...

Apart from hangin from a harness after my stand fell from below me this was by far the scariest thing in my huntin ever.