Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scariest moment in the woods?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scariest moment in the woods?

Earlier this season i was sitting behind a log pile waiting for the sun rise andI kept hearinganimals walk through the woods around me. We have coyotes and cougars in the area (though most people dont believe we have cougars) so Im always a little apprehensive sitting on the ground with only my rifle for the hour before sunrise. Anyways, I keep hearing the deer and night critters walking all around me breaking twigs and stuff then it goes dead silent. Because im fairly new to hunting (going on 2+ years),I dont have a lot of experience with wildlife and whatnot so I instantly assume that since everything goes quite, that there is a HUGE blood thirsty predator somewhere in my area and probably right behind me ready to pounce on poor little me. Now, im not sure what to do because if he doesnt see me, then i dont want to move, but dangit, I dont want to get mauled in the back so what am I supposed to do? I didnt get much of a chance to think before the blood thirsty beast lunged at my backside, going for the spine attack at the neck, and then bounced off like a1 pound hacky sack. I got so pale and jumped so fast you would have thought i was white ligtening on the move. I could have cut carpet with the dancing moves ishowed to the wildlife in the area. Turns out a covey/flock/whatever of small birds were nesting in the wood pile that i was sitting with my back to and Im guessing one of the birds didnt realize that i wasnt just part of the scenery. So he tried to land on the inside of my shoulder and thus caused me to darn near dirty my britches and scream like a little girl. The good news though is that 2 hours later a cute little deer walked out and i filled my freezer.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scariest moment in the woods?

Although I didn't realize how scary it was until after the fact, I'd have to say being bluff charged by a moose was my scariest moment!
I was sitting on an old railroad grade when a big cow and her-bull calf came up behind me. I heard them for a good minute before I saw them, so I was crouched down looking at where the noise was coming from when I saw them and realized they were not deer. As soon as I saw them I stood up to get a better look. The cow saw me immediately and stopped, however the calf didn't see me at first and wastrying to see why thecow had stopped. When the calf's head came out from behind the tree and saw me he put his head down and started right at me. He didn't run, but was definitely coming my way and not slowly. After about 15 steps in my direction he stopped and just starred at me for about 20 seconds then turned and went back to the cow! They both ran off after that! It was a mere 9 paces from me when it stopped! I remember thinking one more step and I shoot, but never got scared, until I replayed the whole sequence in my head! When I fully realized what happened, that's when the shakes started!
I even had to bring my dad to the spot where it happened, and show him the tracks! He told me, if it were him, we would have been eating moose for diner!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Age 8, the first time my dad bugled in an elk. it was a spike about 15 yards away. All i could think about was it goring me with its horns.

Age 14, chased by a moose and all I had was my bow. Found out that I could climb trees.

Age 16,taking a #2 and watching my roll of toilet paper roll down the hill.

Age 19, my dad and I got caught in a nasty windstorm. had to dodge falling trees.

Age 20,I am in a new area that I have never hunted before opening day. The sun is setting and shooting light is gone. I grab my first flashlight, dead. Grab my spare, dead. Grab my spare spare, dead. Spent the night in the woods shivering curled up in the fetal I am going to die position. Now I pack a wind up flashlight with my other 6 flashlights and I check to make sure it is there and working when I leave the rig everytime. I also pack new packages of batteries.

Age 20, later that year my dad and I got caught in another nasty windstorm.

Age 23, out deep in the woods in the cold winter. I am on my friends 4 wheeler and it is so cold that it won't start. No problem I will pull start it, what no pull start. Push starting is out of the question because of the deep snow. Walked for 11 hours in the snow and had to be hospitalized.

I love the woods and would do every one of those scenarios over again except for the no fashlight night. That one really got to me and still affects me till today.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Probably for it would have to be my first time predator hunting at night when the best light I could get my hands on was a 2D maglite.

I was sitting about 10 yards inside some woods calling and calling and calling and after a little bit I could hear footsteps and leaves crunching from what seemed like every angle but I couldn't see very far at all. It was pretty intense to know I was attracting some meat eating nasties but couldn't see them.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Twice, Once on my very first deer hunt I was walking down the side of a hill where my buddy told me to sit. About a third of the way down I had a deer blow at me. The other I was hunting the same area and was walking down a fire lane through a pine groveand turkeys busted off the roost. I guess one other time too while walking down the same fire lane a covey of quails flushed right beside me but that wasn't as bad because it was daylight at the time.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine involved me and a raccoon being in the same tree at the same time.
Guess who left.[:-]
Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Walking up on a dead guy would be my scariest moment. Not a fun thing to find in the woods.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was about 13 or so my dad and I were Spring Gobbler huntin' (on National Forest land) and had a Gobbler hang up on us after working with him for about 2 hours (he had hens) Dad and I started out of the woodsand a guy who owns landthat boarders the NF stopped us. He said he had been listening to us call all morning on his property. My dad calmly explained that we were no where nearhis property andwould gladly take him back to where we were set up and show him where we were sitting. He startedcussing us and pointed his shotgun and my dad and myself. It's a pretty scary situation thinking "Well one of us going to die but I don't think he'll get bothof us before we can get him"...

I heard later that he did the same thing to another guy and instead of it ending peacefully like it did w/us,the accuser ended up w/his shotgun broke in half and beat almost to death w/it.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: kulboy

Age 8, the first time my dad bugled in an elk. it was a spike about 15 yards away. All i could think about was it goring me with its horns.

Age 14, chased by a moose and all I had was my bow. Found out that I could climb trees.

Age 16,taking a #2 and watching my roll of toilet paper roll down the hill.

Age 19, my dad and I got caught in a nasty windstorm. had to dodge falling trees.

Age 20,I am in a new area that I have never hunted before opening day. The sun is setting and shooting light is gone. I grab my first flashlight, dead. Grab my spare, dead. Grab my spare spare, dead. Spent the night in the woods shivering curled up in the fetal I am going to die position. Now I pack a wind up flashlight with my other 6 flashlights and I check to make sure it is there and working when I leave the rig everytime. I also pack new packages of batteries.

Age 20, later that year my dad and I got caught in another nasty windstorm.

Age 23, out deep in the woods in the cold winter. I am on my friends 4 wheeler and it is so cold that it won't start. No problem I will pull start it, what no pull start. Push starting is out of the question because of the deep snow. Walked for 11 hours in the snow and had to be hospitalized.

I love the woods and would do every one of those scenarios over again except for the no fashlight night. That one really got to me and still affects me till today.
Remind me never to go out in the woods as your hunting buddy!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 PM

It was night and I was walking out of the woods when I smelt this awful smell. Then I realized there was a doe in heat somewhere near me. Then I heard a buck grunt not far away. That video of that buck beating the snot out of that hunter kept coming into my mind.

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.