Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scariest moment in the woods >

scariest moment in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scariest moment in the woods

Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scariest moment in the woods

In 1987 I was working for an outfitter in MT. About 4 in the morning I had grabbed several halters to head out and gather the horses. The fog was hanging low but yoou could still see faint outlines as i headed out of camp. Figureing the horses were hanging in the meadow near the creek I headed that direction. I spotted the first outline in the dark and headed twards it. When I got approxamately 30 yards from what I thought was a horse feeding in the creek bottom i realized i wasnt hearing a bell, all our horses wore bells. I stopped and quickly changed directions twards the distant bell sounds probably 200 yards to my right.

After catching the horses getting them all saddled it was getting lighter so I headed back to the creek to see what I was previously attempting to halter in the dark. I wasnt that scared at the time but when I got to the creek an saw fresh grizzly tracks all up and down the bank my legs got a little weak.

Of course this gave all in the camp a great excuse to razz me about trying to halter a grizzly for the rest of the season.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

on a fotograph trip crossing a cornfield I stumbled onto a bunch a wild hogs with litter and they decided to make for a run in my direction.
I went in wearing pants and came out wearing shorts and shaved legs...

Second time, I was in Costa Rica, I went on a day long hike to a waterfall
high up in the cloud forest...following the river. A really good place for spotting jaguars.
I arrived at noon and decided to take a swim in the pool under the fall. My girlfriend didn't because she was afraid to slip on the wet rocks.
When I came out I slipped and when I dried my feet found a nice cut from my heel to my toes. Bleeding and cursingI had to climb down the mountain through the forest on one boot, trying to get down before complete darkness engulfed us and what was the trail.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went fall turkry hunting with a friend from work. We had set up in the evening where they like to go to roost. I was to walk back to a path and follow it out of the woods, to the truck.Well I sat there till dark hoping to see a bird or hear some fly up for the morning, no birds. I walked out looking for the path. In the dark I must have walked right past it. Now I was lost in the Mark Twain Nat. Forest, about 15,000 acres worth of forest. That was scaaaaaaaary. I knew I had gone too far so I turned around and started looking for the path again. Still couldn't find it in the dark. Really scared now!!! Then I remember the walky talky. I pull it out of my pocket and call my buddy. He answers and asks me why I am not at the truck. He comes back up the trail and whistles to me. I was about 50 yards off the trail. It is a hard feeling to describe, but I did not like being lost!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Few years back wife (now ex) and I with the two boys walked into the woods behind the cabin. All of a sudden I realized that we had gotten turned around and I didn't have a compass with me. To make things worse I had no compass with me and it was a cloudy day. (The cabin is in the middle of thousands of acres of the Lake Superior state forest.)

I stared up at the sky until I thought I saw an area with a slightly brighter glow, told everybody to stand still and started walking towards what I hoped was north. (The road would have been north of where we were.)

I had only taken about six steps when I saw the roof of the utility shed. So easy to get lost in the woods. Never again leaving the cabin without a compass in my pocket.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

This one time at archery camp a girl shoved a arrow with a broad head up her.........
Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once stood up while in the stand to have the seat drop to the plat form .That got my heart racing . From then on I always strap it on tight to keep it from coming loose

[/align]
Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was several years ago on a dark gloomy day in the deer woods. I was sitting against a big hickory tree waiting in hopes of ambushing a whitetail deer. Out of nowhere he attacked me, I was helpless against his teeth and claws. I didnt know what to do. I didnt have a radio and there was no one around to hear my screams for help. The only weapons I had were my bow and a knife, and neither were a threat to him. Let me tell you something that was by far the most ruthless and aggresivefieldmouse I have every crossed paths with. HA HA.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking in my backpack, and noticing I forgot **** paper........LOL!!!!!

I would say whenmy flashlights went dead, in the predawn darkness, and I could hear 2 bears, once the sun came up I saw the cub and mama 75 yards away
Old 05-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Walking in the woods in the morning (0 dark thirty) and busting up a bunch of quail. You talk about a heart attack!

Getting lost in the "big woods" (so easy to do)

Another one was in the middle of the day....I was scouting along a creek which had some really thick underbrush/undergrowth. I heard some rustling going on and went to check it out. Got really close to it and heard a real low deliberate growl type sound. Grrrrrr. Almost like a dog but I'm pretty confident it wasn't a dog. I bolted.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I was stalking some deer that were at the end of a long finger of woods right before dark. That's when i noticed a truck drive up on the other side of the woods with no lights on. I then saw 2 guys get out and heard one say "Hey there's one". That's when my life was changed forever. Crack! a rifle shot. Then a tree limb snapped off about 14 inches in front of my face. I thought surely they weren't shooting at me. Then another shot, same result. I ran to the nearest tree and laid behind it while these two idiots emptied their rifles ~15-20 shots in total. The dirt was flying up on both sides of me. They were just missing me by inches. I was mortified, speechless.I waited until they started reloading and ran for the ditch to make my way home. That was definitely not the way I had intended my Christmas eve hunt to go. That was about 10 yrs ago and still to this day I jump when I hear a gunshot.

Quick Reply: scariest moment in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.