Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wind direction- Am I correct? >

Wind direction- Am I correct?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind direction- Am I correct?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wind direction- Am I correct?

Here is photo of the area I will be hunting next year and where I'd like to place my stands(White boxes). The yellow is corn and the blue spot is a swampy area. Like I said the three white boxes are my desired stand locations. Now the question I have: are the arrows(wind direction)correct as to when I should hunt that stand?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wind direction- Am I correct?

Yeah, unless you plan on letting the does pass while you wait for a buck to show up. The does will bust you when they get out in the field. Better hope the buck walks out first. Or hope you can fool their noses.

A better wind might be blowing parllel with the edge of the woods and hope the deer come out on the upwind side of your stand.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Are you hunting mornings or afternoons?
All day stands?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

The two overlooking the corn fields are evening standsand the one tucked by in the woods is an all day stand.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

You're going to need to know where the bedding areas are and where you expect the deer to enter the fields. I would NOT hunt the field edge stands in the evening when the wind is blowing into them. I agree w/ jm , a parallel wind would be better. I'm not a big fan of hunting field edges anyway. Thety're too risky to me. If the wind swirls you'll educate all the deer on the property.

The stand in the corner is a great pinch point , but I'd move it back about 50-60 yrds. into the woods and watch the trail that skirts the corner. I know it's there.Wait for a southerly or east wind.The stand on the top I'd move it to the right where the trees jut out into the field and wait for a W, NW,SW wind.
The bottom stand looks o.k. for a W,NW wind if the trails are to the north.

I'm no expert, just my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM

One more thing about fields.
The deer will usually enter where they feel safe.As the sun sets,that would probably be where the trees will cast a shadow on the field, or on the west side. Glass the west side of the field in the evenings before the season and see if that my hold true. It's a hunch, but I've seen it many times.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: archer58

The stand in the corner is a great pinch point , but I'd move it back about 50-60 yrds. into the woods and watch the trail that skirts the corner.

This may be a dumb question but, by skirting the corner what do you mean?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 PM

In my opinion the stand that is in the bottleneck( in the lower left of the map ) would idealy only be hunted on an east or north eas wind asuming the directions lay the way the map faces . Because a deer cruising through this funnel that you choose not to harvest could catch your wind and blow all other deer from the area on a west wind. Can't comment on the feild stands becuase I'm not a big feild hunter.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mert_04

ORIGINAL: archer58

The stand in the corner is a great pinch point , but I'd move it back about 50-60 yrds. into the woods and watch the trail that skirts the corner.

This may be a dumb question but, by skirting the corner what do you mean?
If you look there should be a trail around the corner of the field that the deer will use to scent check the field and bucks will walk the down wind edge of a field to scent check for does just inside cover. If you have a westerly wind, trails will be used more heavily on the east side.
Deer won't cut the corner through the field and expose themselves during daylight. They go around that corner.Again, glass this corner from a distance and see what's going on.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 AM

i would put up a stand on the fence row by the middle corn feild.,