Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest >

Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

I know that there was talk, last year, of adding a "filmed hunt" "bonus" (or something similar) to the bowhunting contest. I can also see why that didn't go through......due to the costs likely involved for it to be "fair" to everyone.

I was thinking (i.e. 'mind drivel') this morning......about the possibility of adding bonus points (inches - as that's the criteria we use to score) to each team member's score.....for taking a doe.

I'm not trying to fix what ain't broke......but it would "seem" (to me) that this wouldn't hurt a thing.....and it would serve a dual purpose.

1 - It would help possibly educate some people new to the sport about the importance of actually TAKING does.

2 - It would let those that didn't take a buck, that year, STILL be a helping influence on the overall team score.

Now, admittedly....I haven't thought this through a LOT.....NOR do I have any influence on the contest. It's just "Mind Drivel".

Now I'm also aware that there may be guys who ONLY get one tag, PERIOD. If that's trulythe case.....maybe it's a bad idea from the get-go.

Just thinking......
Old 05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

And knifeboy got to 4 pages in 30 minutes.

Talk about a complex!!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do we get extra points for knifing
Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Let's don't get crazy, Germ.

Spears? OK. Knifin' deer is best left to the professionals, though.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you guys ever see those hunting videos from the 80's, where that crazyguy would lunge down from his elevated stand, and drive a gigantic spear through the back/vitals of bears and whitetails? Dude definitely didn't have all four wheels on the road, but he had a pair that clanked.

We need to call that guy and sign him up for the contestnext fall. That is, if he's still alive.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff i got to hand it to ya, thats a hell of an idea. Does are an important part of hunting and it would be great to get more involved. Hats off to ya.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Jeff i got to hand it to ya, thats a hell of an idea. Does are an important part of hunting and it would be great to get more involved. Hats off to ya.
Back to topic

ArcheryTalk contest is run with Does.

You can enter 2 deer:

1 doe and 1 Buck or 2 does I really like that format. Reward a guy for shooting 2 does

Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really like the idea. How would it be scored? You mentioned a bonus score for a doe, how about a nice round number like 50? Or is that too much?
This will really help out guys like MOBO! LOL!!! JKJK. Don't make me ride in the trailer again!
How about a poll to see if it should be added? Its your thread Jeff so I'll leave the poll posting to you. Maybe not just a yes no format on the poll but several doe score choices as well?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does are worth 50 points on AT
Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I was thinking 50 points, also. That's a high enough number that it would make the doe portion VERY important to the overall team score......and allow those who didn't score a buck to be contributors to the overall team score. I think it puts a helluva emphasis on something we don't take seriously enough (in my opinion).

I won't start a poll until I see what a few of the guys that have been doing this for a while say about it. I'd also like Rob's opinion......since he's nice enough to run the contest for us every year.

Quick Reply: Mind drivel.......Bowhunting contest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.