Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Liver shots!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Liver shots!

I've only ever hit 1 in the liver and she died w/in 30 seconds and 80 yards. At first, she didn't even know she was hit. She ran about 20 yards and looked back, presumeably trying to figure out what stung her...Suddenly she took off running for all she was worth and collapsed very shortly thereafter.

In fairness, though, I did clip the top of 1 lung....

I believe it depends on EXACTLY where on the liver you hit. The liver is the major blood filter, so there are lots of arteries and such, but if you would happen to miss an artery, it will take longer to bleed out.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
New Sheriff

I've only hit two deer in the liver, both died within sight.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

I've only hit two deer in the liver, both died within sight.
I think that is extremely rare. Fortunate, but rare. If they die in sight then you dont have to worry about deciding on when to begin tracking
Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Based my own experience if it does not die in sight give it at least 6 hours or more. I shot a nice six point and he stood unphased after the shot almost as if I had missed. He walked about 15 yards bedded and I watched waiting for the head to start bobbing, but it never did. After an hour on the bed he got up, walked across a field of switch grass and disappeared out of sight. After an additonal 5 hour wait we found him piled up 150 yards from the bed. If I would have pushed I probably would have lost him. It is tough to wait but it puts the odds of recovery in your favor.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe most deer that are lost when the hunter believed them to be hit good are liver hits and single lungers ..... I have spent hours trailing such deer, some that I have killed, and some that others have ..... with all that being said ... I completely agree with Rob and others here ...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Taking the chance of bumping a deer is the major risk, if you see the deer die then I wouldnt wait too long. A liver shot depends on where and how much of the liver is cut as to how lethal the shot is. If you hit the hepatic portal vein or hepatic artery your deer will likely bleed out within several minutes, however if you dont hit a major artery or vein it will likely take a while for the deer to die.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad always told me: "If he's dead, he ain't goin' nowhere. If he ain't he needs more time".

Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's always better to wait (6+ hrs) if you're notsure of the hit and didn't see or hear the deer drop.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've hit two whitetails and an impala in the liver and all died within 100 yards. All were dead within a few minutes as well.

If you hit the liver you are a little far back. Like others have said depends on where in the liver you get them. Punch them through the center and its as good as a double lung, catch the edge of it and they will likely take a long time to die.

It does filter the blood but the major vessels in the liver are veins, not arteries, filters on the low pressure side. The portal vein and caudal vena cava are the two major ones. Cut either and the deer will die in short order. Miss them and it will take a while.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

My dad always told me: "If he's dead, he ain't goin' nowhere. If he ain't he needs more time".
Wise man, I like that.