Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Liver shots!

Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Liver shots!

Okay, I constantly hear about waiting 4 to 6 hours after a liver shot to start tracking. Call me crazy, but I have noticed that the deer I have hit in the liver have died very quickly, within 40 yards and this takes place within a few seconds of the shot. I had a doe turn when I shot and I hit her straight through the liver, according to what all the "books, magazines, movies, and experts" say, I should have waited atleast 4 hours to track this deer, but I watched this deer take three hops and fall over, with 30 seconds she was dead!

What is your experience with the "liver shot"?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Liver shots!

I've had them run 80-100 yds and fall over, and I've found them 4 hours later still alive. The majority have been the latter.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Liver hit doe I killed last year was alive after 2 1/2 hours. I got within 30 yards, all she could do was twitch an ear. I knew she would be done soon. Another arrow made it quicker.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've had them run 80-100 yds and fall over, and I've found them 4 hours later still alive. The majority have been the latter.
Exactly.

Live hit deer can die very quickely depending on the hit and the hemorage however, what if they don't, kick them out and they could be gone for good. I'd rather be safe then sorry and if I recognize a liver hit, I'm waiting and recovery my animal. If it died immediately, it's still gonna be there.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'd rather be safe then sorry and if I recognize a liver hit, I'm waiting and recovery my animal. If it died immediately, it's still gonna be there.
That is almost word for word what I was going to write. I too have had both experiences, but jumping a deer that wasn't quite ready to give it up is a major problem. Almost lost one because of my impatience. I swore to never do that again. I wait 6 hours now for any questionable hit or if I do not hear or see them fall.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I've seen liver hit whitetails that have gone a long waysand lived a long time.

One that comes to mindthat I hit went about 300 yards before bedding, he ran though from the point of impact. We waited 5 1/2 hours and he was still alive in a bed, but couldn't get up.

Another one a friend hit. He did not run, but walked away. He went about 150 yards. We waited seven hours before looking for him, and again he was alive in a bed, but could not get up.

I'd always suggest waiting six hours if you can identify the hit on a liver.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Better safe then sorry.

Thats all there is to it. Some may expire fast but from my experience, the majority have taken several hours. Just wait it out, theres RARELY any reason not to
Old 05-07-2007, 08:54 AM

From trackin with a dog... The liver hit trails are the easiest for a pup to follow but as stated earlier if it's not dead you're just gonna push it. Also agreed that the time it takes for one to die is direct proportion to the amount of cutting that a bullet or broadhead has done. The liver holds a tremendous amount of blood......
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with the others. Why take a chance on bumping the deer? I'd rather have a dead pile of stiff venison in my hands because I waitedthan a carcass for the turkey vultures because I made a bad decision.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 AM

never rush a deer if you don't see it fall give it a couple hours

Quick Reply: Liver shots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.