Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer processing

Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Deer processing

Rob always brings down some venison bologna he has his deer made into.....which is wonderful. I'm not sure if I can have that done, here, but I'm going to try.

I had a doe, last year, made into the best spicy sausage I've ever tasted. Hopefully....I'm going to have several does to process.....and I was wanting to "mix it up" a little (in reference to processing).

Suggestions?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer processing

Bacon is pretty good if you cook it right. I always get as much garlic sausage and cheese brats as I can
Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I do my own butchering, at least most the time, I just take some burger to a local processor and he makes these great Cajun brats. They also make these Slim Jim like things called "Hunter's Sticks" that are awesome. Those are my favorites.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of having bologna made from deer. That sounds really good. I'll have to check with my friend who owns a processing plant and see if he can do that. I'm lucky. He gave me a key to his plant and I can go in and hang my deer in the cold storage room if he's not there and just leave him a note. I don't really have any suggestions since I always keep it simple and get as many steaks as I can and have what's left ground. My wife and I figured out how to marinade and grill deer steaks and they turn out better than beef. Deer summer sausage is really great, though.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The butcher I use in PA does a lot of great stuff for us. Breakfast sausage, jerky, and hot dogs are my favorites. The hotdogs are the best though, I eat these 1-2 times a week.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Since I do my own butchering, at least most the time, I just take some burger to a local processor and he makes these great Cajun brats. They also make these Slim Jim like things called "Hunter's Sticks" that are awesome. Those are my favorites.
MMM My local guy does them with a little "hot kick" they call'em Hot sticks but they are they best. Little pricey at 5$ a pound but 5 lbs goes a long way and they freeze very well.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

If you are interested, I have a jerky recipe that I created that most have told me is the best they have ever had ......
Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do my own processing as well and buy kits from LEM products or other places for Summer Suasage, Pepper sticks, Peperoni Sticks, Cajon sausage, and others. I just made 15 pounds of the cajon sausage on Saturday with the rest of the deer from this year. I use it for biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos or just fry it up for breakfast. It is very easy to make your own. I have a slicer, hand and electric grinder, smoker, and a vacuum sealer. It takes some time but the results are excellent.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: huntingson

MMM My local guy does them with a little "hot kick" they call'em Hot sticks but they are they best. Little pricey at 5$ a pound but 5 lbs goes a long way and they freeze very well.
LOL! Good thing I hunt so I don't have to buy meatI think that is what I pay also.

I bet those would be great with some hot spice in them. I'm going to have to see if I can have that done too.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

PT,
I don't know if Jeff is interested, but I am if you're willing to share!

Quick Reply: Deer processing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.