Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer processing

Old 04-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer processing

I process my own and take the trim to my local butcher to have the goodies made. I get a little bit of everything that everyone has mentioned. The only thing I havent' seen yet is kielbasa. The slim jims (hunter sticks) are the best IMO. I could eat a couple hundred of them [8D]. He also makes this summer sausage thats mixed with jaelepeno and cheese. Good stuff too.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Out of all thedeer processing businesses here (and there are a LOT, during deer season it seems there is a sign every half mile)I choose one the Menonites run. Excellant! Italian sausage, breakfast sausage and a summer sausage that once you cut a slice you can't stop. I'm going to have to ask if they can do a bologna, that sounds awfully good.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all my own. I make some italian sausage, breakfast sausage, jerky, hamburger. I don't do a ton of sausage because I prefer to grill mine, or do like stroganoff type stuff instead. After eating these IL deer last year though, I really need to harvest more deer! I knew the U.P. deer were a little gamey, but I had no idea that venison could be so delicious!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Jeff,

If you are interested, I have a jerky recipe that I created that most have told me is the best they have ever had ......
I'd sure be interested too if your willing to share, I also like garlic salami & hot sticks that a local guy makes.
Ed, got ya on the list
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always get mine processed into all hamburger (with pork fat added) - which I immediately give away - I keep the loins and sweetmeat. My guy does summer sausage, too, which is really good. I always get a couple sticks of that too.

I used to go through a specialty butcher who made some awesome kielbasa, bologna, salami, hot sausage, hot sticks and jerky. It just got too expensive, and I liked the hamburger the most anyway. I think I lived on deerburger through college. LOL

Now, I'm so sick of deer steaks/burger that I can barely look at it. The only way I can deal with deerburger now is if I mask it by adding taco powder, spaghetti sauce, sloppy-jo, etc...

Back on topic - I'd reccommend deer kielbasa (if you can find a place that makes it). The stuff I used to get was fantastic.