Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Archery Moose Hunting Story >

Archery Moose Hunting Story

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery Moose Hunting Story

Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Spike

Default Archery Moose Hunting Story

Heard a storyabouta couple of lads from up here in Northern Ontario who went archery hunting formoose last fall locally.

There we driving down a logging road and rounded a corner and saw a cow and a bull on the roadway. They got out of the truck and the moose headed off into the bush. One of the fellows decided to head in after the bull with his bow. The remainder of the gang laughed at the eager hunter and said he would never catch the bull. While the archer headed into the bush the remainder of the gang waited at the truck.

A couple of minutes later the gang on the roadway heard the swosh of an arrow being fired and then some branches breaking. They were then beginning to question whether their party member had maybegot a shot off at the bull.

A couple of minutes later they spotted the eager archer exiting the brush holding his chest further down the logging road. The guys at the truck yelled "what happened?" As the archer got closer he replied "the moose got me". After he got a little closer he gave them the following explanation:

As the archer followed the bull into the brush he actually gota shot at the bull from 10 yards. Unfortuatley, his shot was a little high and did not hit the bull in the vitals. The bull immediately turned and charged the archer hitting him in the chest and the bull stopped over top of the archerwith his feet either side. The bull looked down at the archer, slobbering and then just walked away after the cow.

Bet the archer had to check his pants as well.

Don't know if it is true story but it has got to make you think next time you put a pin on a moose or bear?

Musky
Old 04-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archery Moose Hunting Story

That sounds like a classic "This Happened To Me" story from Field & Stream. Dude was lucky that Bull had booty on his mind!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

that would suck. should of ninja kicked him lol
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, we need to remember that we are out there for fun, the animals we chase are fighting for their lives. He was lucky to get out alive.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM

I don't doubt the truthfulness of it. A bull moose is a formidable critter and they're known for being cantankerous. I rattled one in once and stood there with a shed looking at him head on at 20 yards before I realized what the Hell I was doing[]. Not one of my more brilliant moments... I dropped that shed pretty quick and looked over at my friend to see why he didn't shoot. The look on his face said it all... he was able to mutter something about only having an -06 though.