Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery moose

Old 06-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Archery moose

I drew a WY area 17 type 1 moose tag this year. I intend to archery hunt for it prior to the rifle season, Sept 4-10.

However I do not know anyone who has taken a moose with a bow, and was wondering what differences there are from deer and elk which I am more familiar with.

Any info on archery moose hunting would be appericiated.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Archery moose

They got bigger lungs.....LOL

Other than that I'd guess its like anything else. Learn thier habbits and try to get where they are....

Sorry I'm not much help... I'm just jelous of you...An archery moose hunt is a dream hunt of mine..

Congrats!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM

It's harder to pick a spot on them up close because you pull up and at 12 yards all your pins are on the chest! Concentrate on one pin, take a breath, focus on where you want it to go and let it happen. Practice shooting at the biggest bag target you can make/find without any marks on it. A swith anything, don't just draw up, say "good enough" and let her rip. I shot mine high and spent a couple hours tracking it without any blood trail. I ended up finding it 80 yards from where I shot it but it wasn't fun tracking. They're pretty damn exciting to hunt and it's easy to get rattled when you call something that big in and it lands in your lap.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad shot a huge P&Y Canada Moose in Northern Minnesota back in 1987. He was pulling 80lbs back shooting a Howard Hill longbow and he drilled the moose perfect right behind the shoulder at 15 yards. The problem was that he hit the rib bone dead center which caused him to loose some penetration on his arrow. He still got both lungs but barely, the moose lived for 6 hours. My dads set up was 2216 arrows with 175 grain 2 blade cut on contact broad heads. His arrow weighed around 600 grains which was a good arrow weight for moose hunting, its also his normal set up anyway. If he wouldn't of hit the rib bone square he would of had much more penetration. If he would of had to light of a set up he figures he never would of got that moose. Make sure your set up is what it should be. If I was you I'd be shooting an arrow set up that is a little on the heavy side being these moose have some big ribs.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also if you do arrow a moose and are blood trailing it make sure you look up high on brush for blood. Moose are tall animals and the blood isn't always going to be on the ground.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM

I'm not much help in hunting moose....but I have to congratulate you on drawing a Wyoming moose tag. How many points did you have?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to congratulate you on drawing a Wyoming moose tag
x2! I should of mentioned that as well. Congrats and good luck to you.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, I have nothing useful to offer but....Whatever happens you have to come back(or stay around) here and let us know how hte hunt goes. That is so awesome to geta chance to go after them. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM

I have one shoulder mounted and it is my favorite mount. I am looking forward to hearing about the hunt .I hope you have a short pack ,mine was 2 miles.

[/align]
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks guys. I'll post some pics if I get one!

Quick Reply: Archery moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.