Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good stand?

Old 12-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default good stand?

i plan on starting archery hunting and buying a climber...i decided on a summit and i like the viper xls...i was wondering though would the rap around bar in the front make it hard with a bowbecasue it would hit hte bottom of it or would it be fine? the bow i will be using is older and pretty long....should i just go with the cobra xls?..i really dont need the bar...just rifle season it would make a nice rest and a place to rest my arms and make me feel more safe but that really dont matter to me..and the python xls is kinda to steep to pay right now...what do you think?? thanx...

Old 12-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good stand?

I know exactly what your talking about here. It was also a concern of mine when I purchased my Summit Viper 2yrs ago. I had a previous API climber with the bar across the front. I had an older bow with a longer ATA, 41" to be exact. I did have a buck come directly under my stand, and no way could I make that shot. But what I realized is being up around 20ft, and having that deer directly under at that angle wouldn't have been the best of shots anyways. I felt the advantages of the bar out weighed the disadvantages. Like you said with the bar I too feel safer. I prefer the sit & climb method over the forearm climbing method on non barred climbers. Also with the bar it allows you to sit in 2 different positions either in the seat or on the bar for added comfort, plus different viewing of your hunting area. I have since gone to a 36" ATA bow, and it now longer interferes with the bar. But I still don't think I'd make that almost direct downward angled shot!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

so thats the only shot it interfeared with even with a bigger bow?? thats not to bad because really unless your rifle hunting that really isnt the shot to take..and even with a rifle i would crack him before he got under me...i used a forearm climber before and didnt like it much..it was alright but id like to sit down better i think...i think thats the stand i will go with..i need comfort..i think id love leaning forward on the bar and day dreaming to pass time and rifle season it would be perfect..i dont like the real shooting bars becasue they are far out and hard to take a closer shot than with that closer in bar....thanx for the info...i think thats the stand i will go with..my dad would feel better with that one too..he hates tree stands and will probally not want me using an open stand...hed like it better knowing im a bit safer i think...and i would feel alot safer..i stood up in one that didnt have the bars and i couldnt move i was so scared...and putting on the saftey strap and stuff i was scared...i would like to know if i do lean back a bit to far i have a bar there before i fall...just makes me feel better..thanx alot for the info..

Old 12-17-2002, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I, too, have a climber with the bar in front. I have found that if I stand on the end of the climber, and lean against the bar, I have no clearance problems at all.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:42 AM

It's a personal preference thing for you to decide. I went from a viper then and now have a cobra. For me, I like not having the bar in the way. I like to the ability to shoot straight-on while sitting. The newer models have a little longer side rail (upper half) that you can hang the bow from.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have the cobra also, and you can even shoot sittin down if the deer is in front, or to the left of you. I like the cobra better for
this reason.

daytona 500 winner- Ward Burton
go Cat-22