Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent-Lok Science Site >

Scent-Lok Science Site

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent-Lok Science Site

Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Scent-Lok Science Site

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I just added what I did.....because I know you said you enjoyed the writings of this author. I only thought you'd like to know what HE thought of the subject matter.
This is not a "hunting" subject IMO...........it is a science subject.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

No it's not. It's a smoke and mirrors show. It's ashow set up to arrive at the desired conclusion and totally say, it's a miracle.[8D]
Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

No it's not. It's a smoke and mirrors show. It's ashow set up to arrive at the desired conclusion and totally say, it's a miracle.[8D]

I was being polite............I like Nick and have spoken with him in private.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not using some sort of scent-elimination product you will never realize your own potential as a deer hunter..
Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

If you are not using some sort of scent-elimination product you will never realize your own potential as a deer hunter..

Agreed.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh I use something. I use Whitelightning spray eliminatior on me and everything I carry, soap and water, unscented deordorant and the WIND. I hunt hard hunted spooky deer and do OK.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are not using some sort of scent-elimination product you will never realize your own potential as a deer hunter
Good old baking soda, and it's been proven by science.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:18 PM

Atlas,
I read and reread your post on the chemical make up of sweat. There's no denying you have done your homework.
You brought up some thought provoking information.

Let me ask you a question in layman's terms so the not so chemically astute(sp) can understand your answer. And if you would, keep the answer not so technical.

Let's say you are going to your treestand in late October. You have dressed in Scent-Lok outer garments(hypothetically) and have your Under Aurmor and possibly a mid layer on under it all. You work up a little sweat.
Your body gives off body odor AND your sweat glands give off some of the oils and protiens you spoke of in your list.

Scent-Lok is adborbing your odor. At the same time SOME(not all) of the oils and protiens are clinging to your undergarments , not all reaching the layer of Scent-Lok. The ones that do, get trapped in the surface area of the carbon. The SL is Adsorbing ONLY your odor.
Scent-Lok is designed , as we all know to adsorb odorVAPOR primarily.
So the effectiveness of your suit is now deminished by some percent , we cannot determine because the surface area is filling.
Remembering the infinately large surface area we have to work with and the deminished amount of oils and protiens getting to the SL fabric. Let's go out on a limb and say the oils have used a percentage of the surface area that I'll LET YOU GIVE A NUMBER TO.

So after 40 hours of use you toss it in the dryer and eliminate most of the odor molecules. After a few weeks of the same scenario occuring you do as the Manufacturer recommends and toss it in the washer...to wash out the oils and residues and strat over with an almost pristine suit.(We know that these compoent's can be removed by washing just as any other camo fabric.)Scent-Lok recommends more frequent washings if you are hunting in warmer climates and also recommends washing the Headcover more frequently because you are breathing constantly into it and it's carbon gets full quicker.

There is no denying that the oils , protiens and other components of sweat get to the carbon. They can be washed out.
And I ask you , because I don't know , do all these compounds have an odor associated w/ them? Or are they part of the chemical make up of sweat thathas no odor in and of themselves?
The EMA's used in the testing replicate the ODOR of sweat. Capturing the other compounds is not(I don't think) a concern unless you will never wash your suit.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: archer58

Let's say you are going to your treestand in late October. You have dressed in Scent-Lok outer garments(hypothetically) and have your Under Aurmor and possibly a mid layer on under it all. You work up a little sweat.
Your body gives off body odor AND your sweat glands give off some of the oils and protiens you spoke of in your list.

Scent-Lok is adborbing your odor. At the same time SOME(not all) of the oils and protiens are clinging to your undergarments , not all reaching the layer of Scent-Lok. The ones that do, get trapped in the surface area of the carbon. The SL is Adsorbing ONLY your odor.
Scent-Lok is designed , as we all know to adsorb odorVAPOR primarily.
So the effectiveness of your suit is now deminished by some percent , we cannot determine because the surface area is filling.
Remembering the infinately large surface area we have to work with and the deminished amount of oils and protiens getting to the SL fabric. Let's go out on a limb and say the oils have used a percentage of the surface area that I'll LET YOU GIVE A NUMBER TO.

First of all I would not be wearing Under Armour but that is a whole other thread. Seriously though your story above has about a 1,000 different variables in it that would be useless to speculate about.......if you are gonna do that you may as well bring in the carbon content of the suit, the air flow in, through, and around the garment and any and all environmental variables including humidity, rain, or air quality. Just too vague to expect good info to come from.

So after 40 hours of use you toss it in the dryer and eliminate most of the odor molecules. After a few weeks of the same scenario occuring you do as the Manufacturer recommends and toss it in the washer...to wash out the oils and residues and strat over with an almost pristine suit.(We know that these compoent's can be removed by washing just as any other camo fabric.)Scent-Lok recommends more frequent washings if you are hunting in warmer climates and also recommends washing the Headcover more frequently because you are breathing constantly into it and it's carbon gets full quicker.
The washings are what "they" claim is a major factor in reducing the lifespan of the suit........and you aren't gonna "wash" those substances out of carbon no matter what anyone tells you.

There is no denying that the oils , protiens and other components of sweat get to the carbon. They can be washed out.
I'm afraid you misunderstand carbon adsorption.........it doesn't get "dirty" and then "clean" by washing. It's contents are bonded to the molecule and are not "washed" out.

And I ask you , because I don't know , do all these compounds have an odor associated w/ them?
Yes. The study I referenced was on human odor.........not sweat.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Atlas,
I'm not qiute sure I understand why you cannot wash oils and protein off the carbon when you can wash these things out of cotton fabric.
I do not remember any reference to the carbon permenantly bonding to these substances unless I missed something. Does the carbon bond to anything or merely hold it in it's pores? Can you give me something to reference?

I don't think the scenario I laid out was anything different than what would occur on any hunt. Leaving the weather out of the equation does this not sound typical? And is humidity that critical a factor to the adsorbtion?

Something I would also like ask.
In the post you listed the many components of human sweat. You statad these are a mixture ofvolitle organiccompounds. We also know that carbon is ineffective at removing Minerals,salts and disolved inorganic compounds.
CarbonIS effective at removing volitle organic compounds from the air or vapor. (ref:Wikipedia)
When these components areseperated so to speakand the others left to pass through the carbon , do they have an odor of thier own considering they are no longer the same compound when they were produced?

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok Science Site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.