Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent-Lok Science Site >

Scent-Lok Science Site

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent-Lok Science Site

Old 04-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Default RE: Scent-Lok Science Site

In your reference about human volatiles it states that......

"Body fluids, contain in addition to the volatiles of interest, a mixture of inorganic compounds, high boiling organic compounds, polysacharides, proteins, nucleic acids and so on. Although some investigators have successfully employed direct injection of body fluids for GC analysis it is advantageous to first remove the volatiles from the matrix in which they are found."

This goes back to my original question as to why only the volatile EMA's were used (I already know why ) instead of all the normal components of human sweat and odor??

The following is a excerpt from

Curran AM. Rabin SI. Prada PA. Furton KG. Comparison of the volatile organic compounds present in human odor using SPME-GC/MS.[see comment]. [Comparative Study. Journal Article] Journal of Chemical Ecology. 31(7):1607-19, 2005 Jul.

in which the authors examine the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) present in human odor by using headspace solid phase microextraction gas chromatography–mass spectrometry for the extraction, separation, and analysis of the collected samples. Volatile organic compounds present in the headspace above axillary sweat samples collected from different individuals showed the presence of various types of compounds including organic fatty acids, ketones, aldehydes, esters, and alcohols.

Here is an example of what they found..............why are your tests done with substances that are not consistent with normal human excretions?

Aldehydes
2-Furancarboxaldehyde
(E)-2-Nonenala,b,c
Benzaldehydec,d,e,f
Decanalb,d,g,h,i
Hexanala,b,c,f,h,j,k
Heptanalb,c,d,e,f,j,k
Nonanalb,d,e,g,h,j
Octanala,b,d,g,h
Tetradecanal
Undecanalc,h

Carboxylic acids
Dodecanoic acidc,d,e,h,l
Tetradecanoic acidd,h,i

Ketones
6,10-Dimethyl-5,9-Undecadien-2-onec,d
6-Methyl-5-hepten-2-oneb,c,d,e,g

Alcohols
2-Furanmethanold
Benzyl Alcoholc,d,m
Phenolc,d,l,m

Aliphatic/aromatic
α-Pinenef
Dodecaneb,j
Heptadecanec,d
Hexadecaned,g
Naphthalenea
Nonanec,d,j
Nonane, 1-chloro-d,e
Tetradecaned,g
Toluenec,d,e,f
Tridecane
Undecaneb,j,k

Esters
7-Hexadecenoic acid–methyl esterm
Acetic acid-phenylmethyl ester
Cyclopentanetridecanoic acid–methyl ester
Decanoic acid–methyl ester
Dodecanoic acid, 10-methyl-, methyl ester
Dodecanoic acid–methyl ester
Furancarboxylic acid–methyl ester
Hexadecanoic acid–methyl esterd
Hexanedioic acid–dimethyl esterd
Hexanoic acid–methyl ester
Methyl 9-methyltetradecanoate
Nonanoic acid–methyl esterd
Octanoic acid–methyl ester
Pentadecanoic acid–methyl ester
Propanedioic acid–dimethyl ester
Tetradecanoic acid–methyl ester
Tridecanoic acid–methyl esterd
Undecanoic acid–methyl ester

Amines/amides
Pyridined,e

aComponent of residual armpit odor (Munk et al., 2000).
bComponent of human body odor (Haze et al., 2001).
cComponent of human odor (Curran et al., 2005).
d
Component in human skin emanation (Bernier et al., 2000).
e
Component of skin emanations (Bernier et al., 2002).
f
Volatile component of blood (Deng et al., 2004).
g
Volatile component of the skin (Ostrovskaya et al., 2002).
h
Component of skin emanations (Bernier et al., 1999).
i
Component of fingerprint residue (Asano et al., 2002).
j
Component of human breath (Philips, 1997).
kComponent of human breath (Philips et al., 1999).
lComponent of armpit odor (Zeng et al., 1991).
m
Component of armpit odor (Zeng et al., 1996).
n
Component of fingerprint residue (Ramotowski, 2001).
Old 04-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Nick,

I would go and edit your physical vs. Chemical adsorption document because it has numerous spelling errors.

You are gonna take a pounding from some of your more vocal critics for elementary spelling errors presented in "high science" documents.

Just a heads up
Old 04-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Atlas:

I JUST read an article (yesterday) where your buddy Eberhart (sp?) recommends wearing the carbon/SL suits. He touts wearing them to check game cams and ANY time you're in a deer's haunts (which he ALSO recommends doing on a VERY limited basis).

Just thought you'd enjoy that tidbit.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

So GMMAT, what you're saying is another has been added to the "ProStaff". LOL And Atlas, you're just about as bad as the test you're finding fault with. You loose the masses in the overload of useless facts. LOL Put simply, non volitile does NOT vaporize under heat(ie fatty acids) and they stay behind in carbon. Contamination progressive deterioration(I made this one up) LOL
Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Atlas:

I JUST read an article (yesterday) where your buddy Eberhart (sp?) recommends wearing the carbon/SL suits. He touts wearing them to check game cams and ANY time you're in a deer's haunts (which he ALSO recommends doing on a VERY limited basis).

So??..........What does that have to do with the topic?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Atlas, you're just about as bad as the test you're finding fault with. You loose the masses in the overload of useless facts.
MY question was directed at the "masses"...........if it was I would never have worded it that way.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

So GMMAT, what you're saying is another has been added to the "ProStaff".
It would appear that way, David.

Like I've said in MANY posts, though....."I" trust a select few to help me better understand the things in hunting I don't know or understand (which is a VAST array of subject matter!). I guess I could dispel EVERYONE who doesn't fall into the way of thinking I've chosen.....but at some point....I 've learned I HAVE to trust SOMEBODY.I don't know everything.

Who's endorsement would it take to make some realize that it's "A" tool to be added to the arsenal? Eberhart (sp?)? Chuck Adams? Eichler? The "mythbusters" guys???....lol
Old 04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey, don't worry about spelling. Heck, I left out a key word in my post above..... NOT!! LOL
Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

So??..........What does that have to do with the topic?
Atlasman:

I just added what I did.....because I know you said you enjoyed the writings of this author. I only thought you'd like to know what HE thought of the subject matter.....which is why I wrote what I did in the next post (addressing David's thoughts).

Like I've said in MANY posts, though....."I" trust a select few to help me better understand the things in hunting I don't know or understand (which is a VAST array of subject matter!). I guess I could dispel EVERYONE who doesn't fall into the way of thinking I've chosen.....but at some point....I 've learned I HAVE to trust SOMEBODY.I don't know everything.

Who's endorsement would it take to make some realize that it's "A" tool to be added to the arsenal? Eberhart (sp?)? Chuck Adams? Eichler? The "mythbusters" guys???....lol
Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

but at some point....I 've learned I HAVE to trust SOMEBODY.
Fair enough............my SOMEBODY is science.

None of the above..........."endorsements" mean nothing to me.

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok Science Site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.