Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book >

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Dude, Louisana...chill out man. He is entitled to his opinion on the book, now let him defend it before you go crazy on him...
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

Dude, Louisana...chill out man. He is entitled to his opinion on the book, now let him defend it before you go crazy on him...
Than go crazy[8D]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

That is the most ridiculous and degrading comment I have ever heard about a "Successful" trophy hunter Asslas.

I haven't even said anything yet.........saying someone's book is TERRIBLE is the most ridiculous and degrading comment you ever heard??

Are you a young kid (just guessing by the childish name calling)??

I think if you have an open(or any for that matter) mind about becoming a more successful "trophy" hunter, this book and experiences of this man will help.
I have an open mind.......and if anything I was expecting to like the book based on a lot of fanfare it got here (unless that was a planted thread to sell books).

Tell me how the book "helped" you.

Don tells it like it is and does not pull many punches. I like that.
I guess you only like it when Don does it though

He could have left out the part about his deer being taken, but that part may help someone else in the future.
How exactly??.........by convincing people not to tresspass??

This guy is talking about being "consistently" successful at taking "mature" deer. If that's not your thing then the book is not aimed at you.
That's not what Don says.

It's not for those who have no bowhunting goals in life. If you will always be satisfied with just taking a deer (doe or yearling buck) it's not aimed at you.
Don says it is geared towards the "everyday" hunter that works for a living. Did you even read the book?

If you can use the tactics that work on the big boys, you are bound to have more chances at a lesser deer. I know this may all be justMO on the matter, but I for one enjoyed what I read.
So what "tactics" did he teach you that are gonna make you more successful?

Oh, and by the way Asslas, look at the picture on the front of the book. That's what this man's advice will get you if you pursue it.

LT

Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Than go crazy[8D]
Hahaha exactly![&:]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why does it always turn into a roast? Atlas, you ARE FUNNY, that's for sure!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

I thought his book was great and his experiences and huntingmethods rang true for me with many of my ownmature whitetail encounters. His ideas and methods just clicked with why and what a mature whitetail does what he does.The fact that he raises his own pen raised deer too was interesting in some of the behaviors he has noted. The part about having sanctuaries on your property that no one bothers and the fact that he would rather have and hunt a few acres to himself than share a huge timber with other hunters was right on too. His method of getting to stands without being busted and never taking the lazy, fast way to get to a stand is all right on. Too much other great knowledge in the book and like the harley saying goes,"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Sorry you didn't like the book Atlas. Maybe it is a book for midwesterners and our type of hunting. Most midwesterners can relate to the book and his knowledge on a mature whitetails' behavior. Like you have stated in many posts on this forum Atlas, deer do not reach maturity where you live and it is probably pointless for you to read a book like thiswith thehundreds of guys tromping through the woods you hunt in a typical deer season.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'll disagree as I loved the book by Mr. Higgins. But I could understand why one would not.
What did you mean by this duke?

I hunt to Mr. Higgins style of hunting..
You both have nowhere to hunt next year???...... Just kidding man.......good luck with that (I read the other thread).

Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the point of this post was to get people curious and make them want to read the book then i think its working!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the point of this post was to get people curious and make them want to read the book then i think its working!
LOL Mike ..... I gotta git it now!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I thought his book was great and his experiences and huntingmethods rang true for me with many of my ownmature whitetail encounters. His ideas and methods just clicked with why and what a mature whitetail does what he does.
Give me a SPECIFIC method of his that stuck out for you Don.

The fact that he raises his own pen raised deer too was interesting in some of the behaviors he has noted.
I actually found it quite amusing that he preached the behaviors of bucks in the "real world" so much...........and then tried to support them with the activities of pen raised deer..........I'm sure some people will wonder if some of those bucks on the cover were ever "residents" at one time. I think he would have been better served leaving the pen talk out. JMO.

The part about having sanctuaries on your property that no one bothers and the fact that he would rather have and hunt a few acres to himself than share a huge timber with other hunters was right on too.
I liked the sanctuary bit and it's obviously true but it's far from a revolutionary idea.........it's borderline common sense that the deer are gonna seek isolation when it hits the fan. The part about not wanting to share ground with anyone was not only laughable (in the "real world") but also a bit nauseating because this kind of attitude is what is leading to land being harder and harder to come by. Just think if everyone tried to adopt this method............it's just not good for hunting in general and is very selfish.........2 things this sport needs LESS of.........not more.

His method of getting to stands without being busted and never taking the lazy, fast way to get to a stand is all right on.
I agree 100%...........but again, is this something you didn't already know??........heck, I listed this as my primary goal for the upcoming season back in January I think. I don't know too many guys that need to read this book to learn that.

Too much other great knowledge in the book and like the harley saying goes,"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

It has nothing to do with understanding Don...........I just didn't find any content worth getting excited about. The whole book was very vague and he spent more time telling you why he didn't follow "the norm" then anyhing else............and the book is FULL of contradictions.

Sorry you didn't like the book Atlas. Maybe it is a book for midwesterners and our type of hunting. Most midwesterners can relate to the book and his knowledge on a mature whitetails' behavior.
Relate to what Don..........please be SPECIFIC.

Like you have stated in many posts on this forum Atlas, deer do not reach maturity where you live and it is probably pointless for you to read a book like thiswith thehundreds of guys tromping through the woods you hunt in a typical deer season.
I did get some great laughs at his descriptions of the "real world".

Quick Reply: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.