Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book >

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Default "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

I thought it was TERRIBLE on many levels.

What exactly did you guys like so much about this book?

[:'(]

Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Expound Please, than I will

I am impressed you read it.

I disliked the part about his buck He could have skipped that whole section
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Expound Please, than I will
I was gonna hold my comments for a bit so people could reply about the book first.

I am impressed you read it.
Why?

I disliked the part about his buck He could have skipped that whole section
Uggggghhhhhhh..........That will be part of my review for certain [:'(]
Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is the most ridiculous and degrading comment I have ever heard about a "Successful" trophy hunter . I think if you have an open(or any for that matter) mind about becoming a more successful "trophy" hunter, this book and experiences of this man will help. I know he may not have the answer to everything, but at least he does not come off as one of the "expert" magazine writers out there. Don tells it like it is and does not pull many punches. I like that. He could have left out the part about his deer being taken, but that part may help someone else in the future. This guy is talking about being "consistently" successful at taking "mature" deer. If that's not your thing then the book is not aimed at you. It's not for those who have no bowhunting goals in life. If you will always be satisfied with just taking a deer (doe or yearling buck) it's not aimed at you. Although even for someone with that type of goals, I still believe his tactics will help. If you can use the tactics that work on the big boys, you are bound to have more chances at a lesser deer. I know this may all be justMO on the matter, but I for one enjoyed what I read.

Oh, and by the way, look at the picture on the front of the book. That's what this man's advice will get you if you pursue it.

LT
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm about half way through the book, I hope the second half is better!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

I am impressed you read it.[/blockquote]

Why?
You're working on improving your hunting skills. Some just keep doing the samething every year.

What is Don said
"IF you hunt like everybody else, you will shoot the same deer as everyone else" This statement is dead nuts right on(IMO)

Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll disagree as I loved the book by Mr. Higgins. But I could understand why one would not.

I hunt to Mr. Higgins style of hunting.. that is low profile, low pressure, low education on the deer you are hunting. In my own 'evolution' as a bow hunter I followed this style before ever reading the book.. but my own hunting theories of low profile had some 'holes' in them. Don Higgins book was able to help fill some of those 'holes' left in my own theories and I saw eye to eye with everything he said.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'll disagree as I loved the book by Mr. Higgins. But I could understand why one would not.

I hunt to Mr. Higgins style of hunting.. that is low profile, low pressure, low education on the deer you are hunting. In my own 'evolution' as a bow hunter I followed this style before ever reading the book.. but my own hunting theories of low profile had some 'holes' in them. Don Higgins book was able to help fill some of those 'holes' left in my own theories and I saw eye to eye with everything he said.
Ok Atlas what Duke said to a tee.

I have to go workout with a client, make me proud!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The beginning of the book was a little boring for me as I was looking for some quick answers. As the book went on I realized there are no quick-fixes and learned quite abit about how to approach the coming deer season.As for thepart about his buck, ithad nothing to do with the rest of the book and could have been left out but it was interesting to read. Overall I'd give the book a B+..

Quick Reply: "Real World" review of Don Higgins Book

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.