Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guiding as a career >

Guiding as a career

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guiding as a career

Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Guiding as a career

I am a junior in high school and they have us taking all kinds of tests to see what some compatible jobs we should look at are. And all mine seem to be office jobs which I wouldn't be able to do (no offense to anyone) but i recently came across schools for guiding and outfitting and I think that would be a great career path. But it seems that those are unstable jobs and mostly seasonal. Does anyone have any ideas of some careers that may interest an outdoorsman?

P.S. I didn't know where to post this really so sorry...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Guiding as a career

My cousin dose it at a ranch in northern Michigan, he loves it, but it he does have alot of down time off season, so thats a minus
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Hey BigGame, Im in the same position you are. I wish you the best of luck in finding what you want. I know there is a good guide school in Colorado that I have looked into myself. Keep in mind that if you do become a guide you could always do taxidermy in the off season, I know a few guys that do that.

For anyone else out there, Im a College Junior and will graduate with a Marketing Degree, If anyone has any tips or contacts in the hunting industry for a sales rep position, or any position for that matter let us know,us blood brothers must stick together!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you love being outside, and you love hard work, then you will love being an outfitter.

If you like to hunt (meaning acctually take game) then you will hate it. Every minute of your season will be spent with paying customers (if you are good that is), with little or no time left for yourself.

I guided fishing trips with a full time outfitter one summer when I was in college. It wasn't too bad, but I decided pretty fast that its no way to make a living. People expect WAY WAY too much out of outfitters for the most part, at least when it comes to success rates. I cannot make a fish jump in the boat, but I can put you on fish, with good equipment, safely get you there and back, and provide good company and a good lunch in the process. Thats how I looked at things anyway, and I made about $200 a day just guiding for flatheadcatfish out of a rubber raft in the rapids.

My advice, go ahead and get an office job. Or heck, it doesn't have to be an office job, but get a job that will allow you to make enough money, and have the flexibility of schedule to let you hunt whenever you desire when the season is open.

I am going to open up my own archery shop, mostly a range, but a shop too. I want to be my own boss, and there is a real niche in the market where I live for a good 3D course. Since in my county, it is illegall to discharge a bow in an area zoned as residential, there are plenty of folks who want/need a place to shoot safely and legally. That lets me be around what I love, while letting me make my own schedule, and work for myself.

All in all, you have to follow happiness. If you do that, then you'll always be happy.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Oh to be young again! (Ha! Ha!)

You are in a greatposition, actually. What kind of hunting do you like? Do you like the outdoors?Might want to look at being a firefighter. Everybody likes firefighters, permission always granted to hunt, lots of time off, practice shooting your bow at work. Not a bad gig. Hunting guide??? Actually a tough way to go.

Just my jealous .02
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

You are in a greatposition, actually. What kind of hunting do you like? Do you like the outdoors?Might want to look at being a firefighter. Everybody likes firefighters, permission always granted to hunt, lots of time off, practice shooting your bow at work. Not a bad gig. Hunting guide??? Actually a tough way to go.

Just my jealous .02
Very very good advice! 24 hours on and then 2 days off.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 AM

I'm going to school for accounting right now, work hard and long all spring. And then, what da ya know? I get the rest of the year to do about whatever I want. Beautiful. I know it won't be like that when I first get out in the field, but it'll come.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

You are in a greatposition, actually. What kind of hunting do you like? Do you like the outdoors?
My real passion is for bowhunting, I mostly only pursue whitetails but I have been out west with my father in Idaho for Elk(whereI was unsuccesful) but I loved it nonetheless and plan on going out there one more time before I graduate.I get out as often as I can. And yes I love the outdoors, I live in northern Wisconsin and enjoy walking in the Nicolet National Forest, and our various state parks with our Black Lab.

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If you love being outside, and you love hard work, then you will love being an outfitter.

If you like to hunt (meaning acctually take game) then you will hate it. Every minute of your season will be spent with paying customers (if you are good that is), with little or no time left for yourself.
I love being outside anytime of the year (WI has a wide array of weather) and hard work does not bother me, I worked for my cousin over summer drywalling his house, and I currently hold a job pushing carts (not hard labor but its not easy) which I much prefer over my casheiring duties at Target because I am outside.

A decline in my hunting opportunities is one thing that scares me, I love hunting but one of the reasons I love it is for the time spent outdoors, since I was young my father instilled in me a love for nature and animals and I have been looking into careers that I can put that to good use in.

Sorry if I got a little long-winded, I tend to do that

Anyone's input would be appreciated

Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM

An interesting resource for those considering guiding in AK: http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm currently a Junior in college and thought I knew what I wanted to do right out of high school. I went intoa Professional Golf Management program because I was obsessed golf and thought why not work at a golf course since I love golf soooo much. Well, 2 years into the program and 2 internships later I hate golf. Only played a few times last year and don't even care to play anymore. This from the kid that played golf everyday in the summer from sun up to sunset. I'm currently going to school for Business Administration and may never play golf again.

So my advice to you, which may not matter, is keep your hobbies and love whattheyare and not your job. I know lots of peoplewho's job is their hobby(Golf Business)and love it but not for me.

Quick Reply: Guiding as a career

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.