Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guiding as a career >

Guiding as a career

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guiding as a career

Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Guiding as a career

you can be an avid hunter and enjoy the outdoors as maybe a park ranger, army corps of engineers, things like that and get outside all you want. good luck and hope life treats you well!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wisconsin and enjoy walking in the Nicolet National Forest, and our various state parks with our Black Lab.
ORIGINAL: mert_04

I'm currently a Junior in college and thought I knew what I wanted to do right out of high school. I went intoa Professional Golf Management program because I was obsessed golf and thought why not work at a golf course since I love golf soooo much. Well, 2 years into the program and 2 internships later I hate golf. Only played a few times last year and don't even care to play anymore. This from the kid that played golf everyday in the summer from sun up to sunset. I'm currently going to school for Business Administration and may never play golf again.

So my advice to you, which may not matter, is keep your hobbies and love whattheyare and not your job. I know lots of peoplewho's job is their hobby(Golf Business)and love it but not for me.
out of curiosity was that at Ferris State?

Anyways, I'm a college sophomore. I go to Ball State and I'm studying telecommunications. I do a lot of production stuff, hoping to be able to produce for someone like Mark and Terry D. If you love it, go for it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

out of curiosity was that at Ferris State?

You are correct!!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Ferris huh? Must not have been good enough to get into Central!!! Just messin
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jr_120

Ferris huh? Must not have been good enough to get into Central!!! Just messin
HAHAHA. No I only applied to Ferris becuase I thought I was going to be a golf pro. Once again I was wrong

Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in your position just a year ago as a high school senior. I would have guided my first hunting season this past fall had i not gotten recruited so hard in my senior baseball season. I was all set and ready to go to Philipsburg, Montana, to the Royal Tine guide school(royaltine.com, a very good school if your still interested). I don't regret not going because of some of the afore mentioned reasons, but damn i would have been out west sooner! I am currently working on a B.A. in Environmental Studies and will be looking to start my own Deer Management Consulting Firm when i get out and have a few years expirience under my belt. I decided on this because it will keep me outside and i really like finding ways to get deer to reach their optimum growth potential!

The royal tine guide school is a serious school that has a 99% placement for students that score a 4 or better on the grauation test. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Spike

Biggamehunter, one of the best i know of is a civil engineer. Very good pay and you're outside a lot. You meet with a lot of the big landowners for subdivisions, etc., so that means prime hunting areas and good opportunities at buying land for yourself later. Another thought is surveying.... both have great opportunities to open your own business down the road and be your own boss. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 PM

Just FYI, the Royal Tine Guide School is in Philipsburg, Montana as you stated. I used to live right down the road from there. Absolutely beautiful country and TONS of elk and mule deer! And monster whitetail in the lowlying bottoms. It does not suck there!!!