Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the purpose of the drop away rests? >

Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

I see that all those drop away style rests are getting real popular. But i never understood what the purpose of them is, and what advantage they serve? Thanks forany info.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

To clear fletching and shaft of the arrow during the last 1/4 or so of its trip through the bow .
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the arrow is released the rest "drops away" and the arrow shaft and fletches have no contact with the rest.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

We all STILL have to remember......that the nock is STILL attached to that string when the arrow is first released, though. Any torquing of the bow can STILL affect arrow flight......even though we're not getting fletching and arrow contact with our fall-aways.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.....
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something new to argue about We were running out of things!!! What until the Air Rest gets popular[:@]

Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Air rest won't EVER work as wanted.You need guidance for the arrow as far as you can get it,like was just stated,the arrow is still nocked to the string so you need guidance untill the last possible moment.The air rest will lose any hold on the arrow as soon as it is released because the rest only holds on to the metal insert at the end.So basically the rest will never have much,if any forgiveness.

Hows that for arguing.[8D]

I would like to play with one to see just how much forgiveness is lost but at that price,I won't be purchasing anytime soon.Now if they want to send me one to check out for them,I will gladly do it.

Now the reason for a dropaway.Look at the diameter of the newer arrows on the market(SMALL),now fletch them with 4" helical feathers,you will quickly see that the dropaway will eliminate some fletching contact issues.

Just need to make sure they do not drop away too soon for the ultimate in shot frogiveness FOR A HUNTING BOW.

Target is a different animal with different setups.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Air rest won't EVER work as wanted.You need guidance for the arrow as far as you can get it,like was just stated,the arrow is still nocked to the string so you need guidance untill the last possible moment.The air rest will lose any hold on the arrow as soon as it is released because the rest only holds on to the metal insert at the end.So basically the rest will never have much,if any forgiveness.

Hows that for arguing.[8D]

I would like to play with one to see just how much forgiveness is lost but at that price,I won't be purchasing anytime soon.Now if they want to send me one to check out for them,I will gladly do it.

Now the reason for a dropaway.Look at the diameter of the newer arrows on the market(SMALL),now fletch them with 4" helical feathers,you will quickly see that the dropaway will eliminate some fletching contact issues.

Just need to make sure they do not drop away too soon for the ultimate in shot frogiveness FOR A HUNTING BOW.

Target is a different animal with different setups.
I know of three deer and a turkeythat have died with Air Rest, so[:'(]
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

YOU said we something to argue about.Just giving you what you wanted.

I never said it wouldn't work,just not as well as wanted.

Really,I am interested on how it will perform when torque is applied to a bow.That is the reason guidance is needed.

Any rest will work great under perfect conditions,it is how they perform when all is not ideal.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

YOU said we something to argue about.Just giving you what you wanted.

I never said it wouldn't work,just not as well as wanted.

Really,I am interested on how it will perform when torque is applied to a bow.That is the reason guidance is needed.

Any rest will work great under perfect conditions,it is how they perform when all is not ideal.
Hell I have no idea,I made those numbers up!!!

I like Drop Aways for 1 reason. They are very quiet when drawing and arrow. I can make any rest on any bow shoot. To me as a hunters YOU have to be able to draw your bow without noise. IMO Ultra Restdoes this for me. I like TT and muzzy also, but the Ultra Rest allows me to lower my bow without setting it off!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quiet is the number 1 reason I use my rest also.It is dead quiet from the factory on the draw and at the shot.It also a full contaiment rest.

Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.