Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the purpose of the drop away rests? >

Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

I would like to play with one to see just how much forgiveness is lost but at that price,I won't be purchasing anytime soon.Now if they want to send me one to check out for them,I will gladly do it.
I have one new in package I would let go for you.... for around 80 bills
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ALot of money for "testing"

I also am on staff at a local shop,I am not sure if that would be a good price for me or not.

Thanks anyway.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM

The only REAL reason to use a drop away rest is for fletching contact issues. It is very hard to get the popular small diameter carbon arrows with vanes and any sort of offset or helical to shoot well out of a conventional prong style rest.

Properly set up a drop away rest should drop the arm out of the way as the back of the arrow aproaches it, so you could use any diameter arrow with any type of fletching you want and not have to worry about rest contact. Keep in mind they are not an instant cure though. You still have to make sure the fletchings clear the shelf, riser and cables as the arrow leaves the bow. And I have seen many drop away rests that still have contact issues. It is not a given that you can go spend a hundred dollars on a rest and throw any fletching you want on your arrow and have it work perfectly. You may have to do some tinkering to get it perfect.

Everything else you hear about these rests is hype in my opinion. The sole purpose of them is to aid in reducing fletching contact.

Paul
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I tried my first dropaway rest simply because I wanted to shoot the smaller diameter arrows. So far after having my 3rd dropaway I have come to the conclusion that while most certainly have better containment, they are not a bit more accurate. I could use a shoot through rest and turn the nock so the cock vane is up and shoot as accurate or more accurately.

Is it true Golden Key went under? If so its hard to believe.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I like Drop Aways for 1 reason. They are very quiet when drawing and arrow. I can make any rest on any bow shoot. To me as a hunters YOU have to be able to draw your bow without noise. IMO Ultra Restdoes this for me. I like TT and muzzy also, but the Ultra Rest allows me to lower my bow without setting it off!!!
I agree with the Germ on this one.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Something new to argue about We were running out of things!!! What until the Air Rest gets popular[:@]

oh god
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Everything else you hear about these rests is hype in my opinion. The sole purpose of them is to aid in reducing fletching contact.

Paul
Yep, they allowed me to go from offset fletch to full helical, a definite advantage for shooting broadheads.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We all STILL have to remember......that the nock is STILL attached to that string when the arrow is first released, though. Any torquing of the bow can STILL affect arrow flight......even though we're not getting fletching and arrow contact with our fall-aways.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.....
This is a great point that a lot of people don't think of.Doesn't matter what rest is on the bow, the string is alway the furthest thing away from the point of pivot (grip) and is what will affect bad shots the most.

Properly set up a drop away rest should drop the arm out of the way as the back of the arrow aproaches it,
So if the rest is to maintain the upright position 90% of the draw cycle until just before the fletching comes through, then what does that drop away cord do to your cables that are directlyattached to your cams? Ever see what a 1/2twist in a cable will do to cam timing or syncronization? Ever think about what happens to your cams when that drop away cord comes taught and tweaks cam position at full draw?

Now if you tune the drop away the other way so itdrops in the first 1" of when the arrow is released, what happens when you creep on that shot by 1/4" and execute a weak shot? Does the rest drop? How is this consistent? After watching video of myself and many others, everyone has shots that are weak like this that are shot from different parts of the valley. It happens more than you would think, and especially when you are in a bad shooting position at a weird angle or bad footing.

Fletching clearanceis overrated.Dave Cousins can take a spring steel rest and turn the arrow with the cock vane facing directly down to make direct contact with the rest and still put it in the 9 ring on a fita face at 90 meters when the bow was sighted in for cock vane up position.

Edited my response - was really getting off topic I think. Anyhow I think dropaways are overrated. The only one worthmy timefor any use would be a limb driver. Just MHO.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We all STILL have to remember......that the nock is STILL attached to that string when the arrow is first released, though. Any torquing of the bow can STILL affect arrow flight......even though we're not getting fletching and arrow contact with our fall-aways.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.....
This is a great point that a lot of people don't think of.Doesn't matter what rest is on the bow, the string is alway the furthest thing away from the point of pivot (grip) and is what will affect bad shots the most.

Properly set up a drop away rest should drop the arm out of the way as the back of the arrow aproaches it,
So if the rest is to maintain the upright position 90% of the draw cycle until just before the fletching comes through, then what does that drop away cord do to your cables that are directlyattached to your cams? Ever see what a 1/2twist in a cable will do to cam timing or syncronization? Ever think about what happens to your cams when that drop away cord comes taught and tweaks cam position at full draw?

Now if you tune the drop away the other way so itdrops in the first 1" of when the arrow is released, what happens when you creep on that shot by 1/4" and execute a weak shot? Does the rest drop? How is this consistent? After watching video of myself and many others, everyone has shots that are weak like this that are shot from different parts of the valley. It happens more than you would think, and especially when you are in a bad shooting position at a weird angle or bad footing.

Fletching clearanceis overrated.I have written what I am about to say on this forum at least 3-4 times and no one responds ever.......
Dave Cousins can take a spring steel rest and turn the arrow with the cock vane facing directly down to make direct contact with the rest and still put it in the 9 ring on a fita face at 90 meters when the bow was sighted in for cock vane up position. The fletch contact on a biscuit is consistent enough for anyone to shoot groups that are way beyond acceptable for hunting. Now noise issues can happen with a biscuit with some shafts. I happento shoot goldtip XT's and Pro's and don't have any issues with this.

This target was shot by Jim Despart at the old location of the shop I work/shoot for. This target would put you in the shoot off in vegas every single year with the top 5-10 shooters in the world. This was shot with a biscuit on the bow. I guess they must not be accurate enough.........

Rick he could have shot this with a flipper rest, LOL

A good shot is a good shot
Hell Byron still has a stick bow and can out shoot most of us.

A lot of what we do is for "mental" reasons. Only group worst than archers are golfers

You bring up some good points, thx
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

A lot of what we do is for "mental" reasons. Only group worst than archers are golfers

You bring up some good points, thx
I think this statement sums up the real response to why a dropaway. The theory sounds good at face value until you start to get into the technical side of it. It is awfully easy to blame bad shots on a rest, etc. They are arrows, they only go where you point them.......[8D].

I knew someone was gonna quote me before I edited that one........lol.

Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the drop away rests?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.