Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proshop dilemma

Old 04-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: proshop dilemma

Tell your shop whats up! Heck maybe it will persuade them to look into carrying the BowTech line, they do make a fantastic bow after all...

Shops don't really make that much money on bows. Sort of like guns, there isn't a ton of mark up in them. Go ahead and tell them whats up, buy the bow elsewhere and then come back to your favorite shop and have them set it up, buy your accessories and arrows there. Shops make more money on accessories than they do on bows (percentage wise). We set up Mathews and BowTech bows everyday at our shop that were purchased just down the road. We don't carry either of those lines, yet, our customers bring them to us because we have better service and more knowledgeable and honest people. To me, its a great compliment.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 AM

Talk to the owner of your shop and tell him what is going on.
Try out the bows he sells. Shoot aCardiac.
If you still want the BT then buy a BT.
Buy the bow that really fits and feels best, not just to be a fanboy of a particular brand, whatever brand that may be.
The deer do not care what brand you carry.

I just had kinda the same thing happen to me this past week.
A customer was looking for a new bow. He was looking at Ross, Mathews and Hoyt.
He shot the Cardiac I have, i think he shot a Drenalin and a Vectrix.

He showed up with the new Hoyt on Friday. Nice bow. I had to readjust his sights for him cause the Hoyt dealer has about a 5 yard "closet" you can shoot in but other than that it the bow was fine.
He told me he picked the Hoyt because a couple friends at work shoot Hoyt. The Hoyt dealer gave him a little more for his trade.

Not the way I would pick a bow but.

Do I hold it against him? No
Will I be a jerk in the future to him? No

He made his choice and that is what it is, his choice. I will help him as much as I can.
I even gave him a break on the range fees that night since we were dinking around with his sights and stuff.
He will still be a good customer that will need arrows and acc.and wants to join the next league.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

If you want a BowTech talk to the owner of your shop... He may actually get what you want.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:12 AM

Although I have a similar attitude like Beull's, I know shop owners who do not. If you took a new hoyt to a BT dealers shop and asked for help tuning ,etc., they'd almost ignore you.
My shop is not a full time venture , however, I work on and tune alot of bows from guys that have been reffered to me by my customers. They either have a tuning issue their shop can't figure out or feel they were given misinformation.
Will I help them? , YES.
Will I sell them accessories? , YES
Will they tell their buddies that I fixed a problem? , YES
Will I get more business? ,YES

One of mywife's friend's husbandjust bought a Hoyt. He took the bare bow from the shop and brought it to me for the set up and tune.
I didn't know he had done it, but he trusted me to set the bow more than the shop owner he just bought from.

That being said, don't feel guilty about buying what you want. It sounds like you have a great rapor w/ the shop you frequent and they'll understand.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 AM

That is sort of a dilemma, at least it seems to be for you. Nothing wrong with loyalty. I go to several different shops in my area so I sort of feel the same way sometimes. The place I shop most at for little stuff I have never gotten a bow from. I even go to the evil cabela's sometimes if they have what I want.

I agree with the others, I will admit I didn't read every word of every post on this thread, but I get the gist of it. Be honest with this shop and tell them what you really want, and that they don't have it. Then get what you want, and maybe buy all your other stuff from them to throw them a bone I guess.

However if this is really a dilemma for you, let me ask you a question. Why do you want a bowtech so bad? I am not saying there is anything wrong with them, I shoot one myself. I am just asking what is pulling you in that direction over other bow companies. All the bows you listed are very good bows with similar price ranges. Have you shot them all? I say let the shop that you like know what you are looking for and see if they can change your mind some. Shoot all the bows they have and give them a fair shake with the bowtech line up. You might find something just as good or possibly better.

The reason I say this is that unless you are a really good bow mechanic, when you get a new bow customer service is very important. If you got a bow and for some reason had problems with it who would you want to deal with. The shop you like and have a relationship with and trust, or some other shop that just happened to carry the line you wanted.

They might even cut you a good deal if they know they can sell you a bow from their shop.

I know that doesn't help your decision any, but that is my opinion on it.

You might also talk to them about seeing if they can custom order you a bowtech or something. However I would be more inclined to get a bow they carry and know more about as far as tuning and service goes.

And I thought I heard something about bowtech having a program similar to mathews where there could only be so many dealers in an area. I could have heard wrong though. I do know they used to have something where the shop had to sell so many bows in certain time frame. Or they had to order X amount of product. Something to that effect. I know of two shops that tried to carry them in my area and don't anymore because they couldn't sell enough. At least that is the story I got anyway. And this was a few years ago as well.

Paul
Old 04-01-2007, 06:45 AM

Paul brings up a very good point...If your shop can't get you a Bowtech, they won't be able to get parts should it need repairs either. Paul said customer service is everything when you buy a new bow, and he's 100% correct. Your shop doesn't sell Bowtech, they may not (or may) know the best way to tune them, fix them, and all that good stuff. The shop you buy it from will because they are intimately familiar w/ the Bowtech line....
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM

Hunting is a business. Your pro-shop is losing their butt's by not providing the bow (Bowtech, etc.) that the customer wants. If you dont get the bow you want, you will inevitably be disappointed!

Your pro-shop has chosen NOT to carry Bowtech, not your fault!

Just my .02
Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Again, great points guys. Like i said before, I have asked him why he doesn't carry bowtech...He stated that he wants to, but he said due to 2 other shops in the vacinity, that he was unable to. (i don't know if it is true, but thats what he said), he also had an opportunity to be one of the few elite carriers in the state. He said he believes that elite is just as good as bt. I have not shot on yet, but after reading your posts, i definitely will break out of stubbornness and try out some other brands.

I have shot my uncle's allegiance and fell in love with, also from gaining information from this site, i kinda made up my mind.( i know that is not the way to go). So I am going to take a day and try to shoot all the bows that were mentioned and then make a honest decision, regardless of proshop. I will buy the best bow that fits me.

Seriously guys thanks a lot...you have been more than enough help. I know this site got kinda weird for a while and people were fighting and bashing each other, but this is what this site is all about....helping fellow bowhunters.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I take a little different view on it from Mobow.

I don't think you owe anyone your loyalty. You owe it to yourself to get you a bow that you like. You'll be bringing your shop business by purchasing accessories from them, using their facilities, and getting work done by them.

It isn't your fault they don't carry the bow you want.

If they show less interest in you and servicing your equipment because you went somewhere else to get the bow you want because they don't/can't carry it, thats bad business.

Get the bow you want, regardless of whether you have to go somewhere else.
I'll second that!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you given their bows a fair chance? Try them first before a decision has been made to go somewhere else.

I believe that if the shop has catered to you and has allowed you to shoot free,you owe them that much.

If You can't shootor don't like any of their bows,then explain it to them and do what you have to.

I would buy from the ones I am comfortable with.

Look at the Elite,a bowtech with better limbs.[8D](I know I will catch flack for that one)Elite is a new company and you would have a right to be nervous about them.

I am sponsored through 1 shop but could get better sponsorship through another that sells Hoyt but I don't trust the other shop and really like who I am with now,not going to change.

Quick Reply: proshop dilemma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.