Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

I use G5 Montec 100grain and i absolutly love them. They Fly Great and are 100% Steel, so are super tough. (but as you've heard many times, are a little time consuming while sharpening, but fun to do while watching your fav. hunting show!) I have heard excelent things about the Striker, but have yet to try them ,hmm think they are sharp? i havent heard. But if you are stuck with wanting a lower grain broadhead, i suggest Montec i believe they come in 85 grain? correct me if i'm wrong.

KP
Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I'm partial to 190 grn Grizzlies, myself. Once the black finish hastaken a crimson stain, they make as striking (and nearly as large) a wall mount as any big game.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow bet that cuts on contact, looks like a big game guillotine.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's not a broadhead, AK... that's a spear!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why you like that AK. A 1 to 3 ratio provides the best penetration and flight characteristics. Those heads look similar to the Modocs that I used to shoot.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM

wasp sharpshooters
Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Haven't you learned by now Motown??........EVERY thread is secretly about him

Let's see if we can't help this guy with his question instead of criticizing his choices............what a novel idea

I am a big fan of COC heads.........penetration and tissue damage are all you want and need from a broadhead. Any broadhead out there should fly accurately enough out of a well tuned bow (some are better though in my experience).........and if you are shopping for broadheads because you want it to smash through bones then your priorities are in the wrong place. It's much easier to practice and take good shots in the field then to hope your head wins the battle vs heavy bone. Without a doubt in my mind more often then not you will lose that battle...........pretty much a long winded way of saying don't shoot them in the freakin' shoulder or spine.........accidents and bad shots happen but no matter what head you have on in those situations the odds are not in your favor.

For COC heads I would recommend Magnus Stingers first. They are tried and true heads that have a LONG standing history of excellence. They fly great........not good........GREAT. They are wicked sharp and they leave BIG holes (notice the plural) and gory blood trails. They make an 85 grain head in both the Stinger and Buzzcutt (serrated). The best thing about them is you can replace the blades.......practice all you want then just put in fresh blades are you are scalpel sharp and ready to roll.

SteelForce would be my next choice.........They are VERY sharp and fly almost as well as the Stingers. They are very tough and do a TON of damage.........ONLY downside IMO is you can't replace the blades. Great head and also comes in 85 grain.

I am going to try the G5 Strikers and Shuttle T-Locks this year as well but I don't know if they come in 85gr.

One thing about COC heads that gets lost in the mix sometimes is the importance of a pass through. If you get a pass through your chances of successfully tracking that deer go up exponentially IMO. Getting a pass through should be every hunters #1(b) goal.......with #1(a) being a well placed shot. 2 holes spraying blood makes a WORLD of difference in the woods especially from a tree stand when the angle of entry is sometimes pretty steep..........1 hole near the top of a deer's back is not gonna leave you a lot of sign to follow........you will be following drops (if that) instead of splashes and sprays. My brother shot a deer last year and made a perfect kill shot BUT it hit the opposite shoulder and never came out...........we found that deer by good visual recall by my brother and following tracks in the mud.........there was 1 drop of blood on the whole trail about half way down and then nothing until about 10 yards before he piled up. I honestly believe if that situation happened to someone (or a group) that had limited or no tracking experience the deer would have been lost.

My best friends bow is a snail..........about 218 fps and he shoots SteelForce heads through deer like a hot knife through butter. Getting a clean passthrough at those speeds says a lot about a heads sharpness and penetration ability.

Take into account if replacing the blades is important to you and then narrow your choice that way to start.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2007, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

One thing nice about G5 is all their broadheads are spin tested. They all fly the same!
Same with Magnus...........and yes, that IS a nice thing

Here is the Stinger

The Buzzcutt

SteelForce

I see that SteelForce has a new sharpener available this year...........could be a MAJOR plus for these heads.

G5 Striker

Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, that striker is a sharp looking broadhead (pun both,intended and not intended) might just have to pick me up some, and see how they fly
Old 03-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Haven't you learned by now Motown??........EVERY thread is secretly about him
How is that ignoring thing working out Atlas

No Striker does not come in 85 grains. I am kind of shocked because the Montec does.

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.