HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Cut on Contact? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/185663-cut-contact.html)

Deep Chatham 03-23-2007 06:57 AM

Cut on Contact?

What would ya'll recommend for a COC broadhead.
I don't like Hole punchers or Mechanicals, no offense folks, I just don't.
I'm lookin at about 75-85 gr. range.
Ideas? I like the look of Montecs but hear they're hard to sharpen.

GMMAT 03-23-2007 07:00 AM

RE: Cut on Contact?

Let's be honest.....

If my 125gr Muzzy .......is shot out of my 71# Bowtech Allegiance........

Do you think it's going to cut .....on contact?

Deep Chatham 03-23-2007 07:09 AM

Really, No offensefolks. I just don't care for hole-punchers. Muzzys are great broadheads. If I was going with a chisel-point, it'd be Muzzy for sure.

Snood Slapper 03-23-2007 07:21 AM

For a true cut-on-contact style, I suggest Simmons Sharks and Magnus. If you go to the Simmons site, it doesn't show it yet, but they are making a smaller version of the Razor Shark this year called the Mako in 85 grains (and 100 grains). Magnus makes a 85 grain Stinger that is great as well. I think Steel Force and Sonic/American might have a COC that light, but I can't recommend them as I've never used them. In order to get more selection, you either have to jump up to 100 grains or shoot chisel tips.

Hope that helps a little.

YooperMike 03-23-2007 07:32 AM

In that weight range, I would go with the Magnus as well. I've checked out the Sonics, and I just don't like them, can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't do it for me. Plus, with the 85 grain Magnus, you still get a good cutting diameter. If you are looking to go up to 100 grains, I think the Muzzy Phantom is the best COC head out there right now. Any reason you are stuck at 85 grains?

GMMAT 03-23-2007 07:39 AM

Hey Deep....

I wasn't offended.....I'm just trying tointerject somerealism. My hunting arrow weighs in at 460gr+. My 3D arrows are traveling over 300fps.....so my hunting arow isn't far behind. I think ANYTHING my Muzzy touches......it's gonna "cut on contact".

If you're shooting a much lower KE setup.......I guess it matters. I guess????

BobCo19-65 03-23-2007 07:51 AM

I think ANYTHING my Muzzy touches......it's gonna "cut on contact".
A standard muzzy is not condsidered a cut on contact head, a muzzy phantom is. I know some people though that sharpen the trocar tip on the standard muzzy, so I guess that's pretty darn close.

Wish I could help you Deep, but I have never used that light of a head. I have used pretty much every COC head in the 125-220 grain range though. My favorites being Stinger and Phantom.

blackmax2 03-23-2007 08:14 AM

Not really sure what you are looking for, but the New RAGE two and three blade mechs. are nice. fly true for me anyways

Paul L Mohr 03-23-2007 08:19 AM

I like the steel force heads, just don't get the ones with the serrated edges. Sort of defeats the purpose of using a cut on cantact head.

Paul

bigbulls 03-23-2007 08:43 AM

Are you a kid that is pulling 35 - 40 pounds? If not why do you want such a light weight broadhead. You literally have dozens of more choices in the 100 grain weight than you do itn the "less than" 100 grain weight.