Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Cut on Contact?

What would ya'll recommend for a COC broadhead.
I don't like Hole punchers or Mechanicals, no offense folks, I just don't.
I'm lookin at about 75-85 gr. range.
Ideas? I like the look of Montecs but hear they're hard to sharpen.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

Let's be honest.....

If my 125gr Muzzy .......is shot out of my 71# Bowtech Allegiance........

Do you think it's going to cut .....on contact?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Really, No offensefolks. I just don't care for hole-punchers. Muzzys are great broadheads. If I was going with a chisel-point, it'd be Muzzy for sure.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

For a true cut-on-contact style, I suggest Simmons Sharks and Magnus. If you go to the Simmons site, it doesn't show it yet, but they are making a smaller version of the Razor Shark this year called the Mako in 85 grains (and 100 grains). Magnus makes a 85 grain Stinger that is great as well. I think Steel Force and Sonic/American might have a COC that light, but I can't recommend them as I've never used them. In order to get more selection, you either have to jump up to 100 grains or shoot chisel tips.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In that weight range, I would go with the Magnus as well. I've checked out the Sonics, and I just don't like them, can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't do it for me. Plus, with the 85 grain Magnus, you still get a good cutting diameter. If you are looking to go up to 100 grains, I think the Muzzy Phantom is the best COC head out there right now. Any reason you are stuck at 85 grains?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Deep....

I wasn't offended.....I'm just trying tointerject somerealism. My hunting arrow weighs in at 460gr+. My 3D arrows are traveling over 300fps.....so my hunting arow isn't far behind. I think ANYTHING my Muzzy touches......it's gonna "cut on contact".

If you're shooting a much lower KE setup.......I guess it matters. I guess????
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think ANYTHING my Muzzy touches......it's gonna "cut on contact".
A standard muzzy is not condsidered a cut on contact head, a muzzy phantom is. I know some people though that sharpen the trocar tip on the standard muzzy, so I guess that's pretty darn close.

Wish I could help you Deep, but I have never used that light of a head. I have used pretty much every COC head in the 125-220 grain range though. My favorites being Stinger and Phantom.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:14 AM

Not really sure what you are looking for, but the New RAGE two and three blade mechs. are nice. fly true for me anyways
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM

I like the steel force heads, just don't get the ones with the serrated edges. Sort of defeats the purpose of using a cut on cantact head.

Paul
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you a kid that is pulling 35 - 40 pounds? If not why do you want such a light weight broadhead. You literally have dozens of more choices in the 100 grain weight than you do itn the "less than" 100 grain weight.

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.