Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting? >

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Default RE: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

I am sorry I wouldint be proud of killing a bull in a farm that would just be stuipid like shooting ducks out of a barrel plus just now I figured it out just because a lady shot it you make it sound so much better than it is if I shot it in a pasture you would tell my *** off

Quit skirting the filters!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that could be an interesting thread......Are women treated differently on HNI and why? But as far as this thread I am in agreement that shot placement and sharp broadheads are probably the most important aspect of a clean kill.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just dont get this for the life of me. I can say for sure, but i will go out on a limb and say that the majority of people who have problems with high fence hunting have never hunted behind one or have never even seen one. I will also go out on the same limb and say that the majority of the people with the same problems have never hunted in Texas. It seems that every time someone mentions Texas on this site, people automatically assume its high fence. The simple fact is there are alot of high fence ranches in texas, but last time i checked, texas was a huge state, and there are also alot of low fence ranches as well. Let me ask a question, what is the difference between a guy hunting a 100 acre "farm" in Illinois or a 1500 acre "ranch" in texas if neither have high fences and the only difference being that they are in different states. I am no texas expert, i have hunted it twice in my life, once in a low fence ranch and another time on a multiple thousand acre ranch. Both had their positives and negatives but that is a whole other issue. I will say that if you spend any time in Texas driving around, and i havent spent much, you will see vast amounts of wildlife, some native and some not native. The exotics can and do get out of high fence ranches and establish "native" populations where they settle. Lets all get off our high horses and accept that we might not all know everything.

Once again, that is one heck of a bull elk, display him proudly on the wall, you deserve it.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have ananswer tothat question the difference would be about 1400 acres, the state laws, the common hunting practices(regionally), and about 1500 other things.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

This was posted on the thread that Campo started criticizing high fence hunting (and Anna Marie)by JMBuckhunter:

I was waiting for just this kind of opportunity. And I knew it would come in time.Campo, I lost all respect for you back during the bowhunting contest. You killed a little buck and would not enter it for our team. You said you were going to get a bigger one for the competition. You were told several times that it had to be your first buck killed. But you just ignored the rest of the team, and did your own thing. You broke the rules of the contest. What kind of example does that set for the rest of us hunters. Yet you are the first to judge someone who is not breaking any rules.

Thanks for allowing me to get in my rant.

Your TEAM 10 POINT TEAMMATE

John Mueller

PS: No reply is needed. I am not going to argue with you. But I feel a whole lot better now.
Campo has not posted on either thread since this was posted. Apparently, what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

New61375, im not trying to get an arguement here, but state laws, common hunting practices and the like, set aside. If both pieces of property are not high fenced, neither restrict game- they are free to come and go as they want. Whats the difference? Does it make it different that there are nonnative species on it?

Once again, im not trying to instigate anything here, just trying to look at the same topic from a different view.

Sorry annmarie that this is stealing from your original post.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Holy smokes Campo, I will be hunting elk, red deer, chamois and tahr in New Zealand in a few weeks. I'll be doing it outside a preserve and in New Zealand's National Forest. Would you pleasecheck your book for me buddy. Are Elk native to New Zealand? I sure wouldn't want to hunt them if they're not.

Really man, You need to get out more!

AnnaMarie, that's an awesome bull! Be proud of it-I know you are! Pay no attention to those that have never been there...like Campo. We have elk, among other things, up here in Colorado if you care to chase them.My sister and Iwould gladly show you the ropes!
Thanks Wil, very well put. Also Campo, can you check your bookon huntingWILD hogsin TEXAS? I guess since they aren't native to Texas, then it probably isn't ethical or anything. Oh and I guess I'll quit hunting Pheasants because the Chinese Ringneck isn't native to the US either... Are you freaking kidding?

AnneMarie awesome bull, very well done!! I'll be down in that part of Texas next weekend.

Bullet Hole Bailey Murphy... you seem to think every broadhead in the world whistles. You can't hear the whistle when you are down range of the arrow, I promise I've tested it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

New61375, im not trying to get an arguement here, but state laws, common hunting practices and the like, set aside. If both pieces of property are not high fenced, neither restrict game- they are free to come and go as they want. Whats the difference? Does it make it different that there are nonnative species on it?

Once again, im not trying to instigate anything here, just trying to look at the same topic from a different view.

Sorry annmarie that this is stealing from your original post.
The original post was not about any of this so I too apoligize in advance but NJ you can't set those things aside because those things are the differences and lead to many other differences. The fence is not needed to restrict game, their movementson many of these type ranches are manipulated by food and water, yes they can leave but why would they if they have food, water, and adequate shelter. Just my opinion and I do understand what you mean when you ask what the difference is but each area is different and sometimes what people do in acertain area/region is frowned upon in other areas/regions, I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying. Anyway, I really have no dog in this fight and my hijacking is now over, sorry again.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Seems like alot of peole have gotton of subject, so will i. To AnnaMarie: I just got my wife into shooting and hunting, and she is shooting close to the same set up, she will like the picture of the elk, she always asks if her bow will do the job. Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.goldtip.com/calculators/kinetic.asp and plug in your numbers there. It recommends at least 50 ft lbs of kinetic energy for Elk, Moose, Caribou, etc.

At least 40 ft lbs for deer, bear, etc.

PS. You'll need to know your ACTUAL arrow weight and speed. Do not estimate because I guarantee you'll be wrong.