Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 climber hunting with a compound >

climber hunting with a compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climber hunting with a compound

Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default climber hunting with a compound

Ok all im hunting out of a summit goliath and to boot im going compound this year so this is my question. Do i leave my bow rest on its side or hang it off a tree? Im converting from a xbow to a compound so help is needed.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: climber hunting with a compound

With the Goliath you canleave it lay right across the top bar, plenty of room.. Nothing wrong with hanging it, say from one of those realtree easy hangers so it will be out in front of you if your worried about knocking it off the rail either.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

ok thanks im going to try it out this weekend and ge a feel for it. I cant wait.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have bow hunted out of a Summit Viper for a number of years. The only caution I would have for you is to be sure that you position the foot platform and the seat close enough together that the front rail does not interfer with your lower limb as you shoot over it. You should also be sure that you are standing close to the rail to prevent your bow or string from contacting it. I am rather tall at 6'6" and can shoot over the rail quite easily and it has never really been a problem for me but I can see that shorter hunters may have to adjust their style to accommodate the rail. When getting ready for the shot, I always touch the rail with my leg so that I always know where it is without having to look at it.
Best of luck to you this year.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive done both.. if its rut an im seein alot of deer an action is happen alot ill lay it across the treestand.if its kinda slow i got a bow hanger ill hang it up on
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

JUST HANG IT ON AN EZZY HANGR ITS ONE LESS THING TO WORRY ABOUT
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put it on a hanger on the top rail with in quick reach

[/align]
Old 09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt from a Viper...just a tad smaller than the goliath...same design i believe.

i lay mine across the front rail with an arrow nocked. when they come in i just stand and draw. no reaching around for the bow...i hunt thick woods most of the time. i dont have time to be looking for my bow and reaching around. most of the time im standing anyways. well, during prime time like 7-9am and the last golden hour of light im standing.

works for me.

hunting from 2 lock ons this year i really dont know what i will do with my bow. hopefully my bowholder works that i bought last year. never used it on the summit. that will keep it right to my side..arrow nocked and ready to go.

i like to be ready.

this year i had my RIFLE laying across the front of my viper. looked to my far right/behind me and there he was. something from a magazine. a brute. i grabbed my rifle and had to stand up to get facing him. he started walking and walked through brush all the while...never got a shot...just didnt like the shots offered though im betting i could killed him..im not a gamblin man. i rather let a pig like that walk than wound him. some kid killed him about 2 miles away a week later after my group and half the county chased him around for a week. oh well...i didnt wound him...i still dont know where them 2 bucks came from. never seen them till i turned around and the biggun and the little one was standin there lookin at me...
Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trex got some good advice there. Some guys don't like a rail in the front, but there is a secret to it. Shorten the straps that the seat hangs on. Then when you set up in the tree keep the seat portion so it is just above the knees. This allows enough room to lay the bow across the rail. It gives more room to shoot over the rail if you are seated, and if standing you can just nudge your knee against the rail for some psychological support.

As for hanging the bow? I usually spend most of my time sitting with the bow across the rail in front of me due to a bad back. But when I stand I hang it on a hook behind me. I've used the Easy Hanger and it works well, but it just adds that much more weight to an already over heavy pack.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Couple more points, I take my quiver off and hang on tree, makes the bow quieter and lays in my lap better....

On shooting a deer with a gun coming in on your "off side"....I can shoot from either shoulder, lots of time that deer will spook, especially if within 50 yards, years ago I taught myself to shoot off either shoulder, just flip the gun over and get the cross hairs on him...

Quick Reply: climber hunting with a compound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.