Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shed hunting with dogs? >

Shed hunting with dogs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed hunting with dogs?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default Shed hunting with dogs?

I was wondering if any of you shed hunters out there train your dogs to find shed antlers. if you do could you guide me to the main points as how to train your dog, cause i really want to get my beagle to find some sheds!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Shed hunting with dogs?

[&:]I'M NOT A SHED FINDING PRO BUT I DONT THINK YOU TRAIN THE DOG IT'S NATURALY IN THE DOG

I ALSO HAVE A BEAGLE AND SHE HAS FOUND THEM ON HER OWN I NEVER TRAINED HER WHAT SO EVER

IT IS IN HER BLOOD ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHITETAILS AND SHE IS ON THEM
WHETHER ITS A BLOOD TRAIL,,,CARCASS OR LIKE I SAID SHED'S SHE DOES IT ON HER OWN

NOT MUCH HELP JUST THOUGHT I WOULD REPLY

TRY GETTING THE SCENT FROM A DEER FROM YOUR NEXT KILL AND LET HER PLAY OR GIVE HER AN OLD ANTLER AND SHE WILL PLAY WITH IT THEN KNOW WHAT TO SMELL FOR WHEN YOUR IN THE WOODS NEXT TIME SHED HUNTING HOPE THIS GIVES U A LIL HELP

BROWNING_XCELLERATOR

HAPPY HUNTING STRAIGHT SHOOTIN

Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mihna, I dont qwn a dog abut had the privledge of watching my buddies dog work on sunday, I watched as he sent the the dog out and then he put two antlers the dog has never seen before in the weeds so they couldn't be seen and then called the dog back and as soon as the dog got down wind he stopped and went straight to them. He said he just gave the dog an antler to chew on and then went out with treats and he would hide an antler and when the dog found it give him a treat. I don't know if that helps but that is all I know!! Walt
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have a black lab and one day we were walking in a park when she went off in the woods and came back with a shed. she must have thought it was a stick. after that, i would hide sheds in my back yard and tell her to find them and somehow she did....it was really quite amazing
Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My budy Ty has a black lab that finds sheds often. He said when training the dog to find sheds reward him when he does good. He said the number one thing is to keep your scent off of the antlers when hiding them for the dog to find...